Painted Glass Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

storm3884

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up an aquarium with dark substrate and background, with the purpose of accentuating colorful fish choices. I plan on a school of Cardinal Tetras. In addition, I came across some Painted Glass Tetras at a LFS yesterday, which were quite stunning. Can anyone tell me about these fish? I have never seen them before!

atodaj is correct, if you do chose too buy them , dont expect a long living fish, the ink injected into them has some ill effects, later on.

They are tetras. The best case scenerio with those fish is that they will live a long life but probably within 6 months they will fade in colour. They have also started doing this with albino fish. I have seen albino cories that are dyed, and I have heard about albino plecos being done the same way.

Sometimes they call the painted glass fish blueberry tetras or fruit loop tetras but it is all done the same way.

My sister in-law had three of them and they have all died now. :( I believe she had them right around 6 months.

Jen

I think the color of the cardinals will be fabulous in the tank as you suggest. Another incredibly colorful fish is the dwarf gourami, either the regular one or the powder blue, and their colors are shown off wonderfully in a dark substrate tank. There are some rainbows that have nice color, too. I would personally avoid supporting the practice of dying fish and abstain from purchasing them, so it was smart to post here first and learn before you buy! :D

I got 10 cardinals in my tank with a black sand substrate. Tank trim and stand is also black. The colors just pop! I'm looking into getting some dwarf gouramis too. Possibly also a Zebra Pleco in a couple of months... the zebra pattern would look stunning against a black substrate! :) Its pricy though. :(

The color fades quickly and the fish die young. The dye affects their ability to fight disease I assume by stressing them out.

If they are the same as the coloured tetra's we have in the UK, you will find that they are Pristella tetra's also known as exray fish. They are injected to give them there new colours. In my opinion i think that this process does shorten the life of the fish, but this is only my opinion.

DO NOT BUY PAINTED FISH!!!

As stated above, they are injected with the dye, it is cruel and to purchase them only encourages this immoral practice. If everyone would stop buying them, they would stop doing it.

I've actually looked for unpainted glass tetras, couldn't find any! Arent they cool enough just as a see-through fish? I think they are, why do this dyeing business?

Thanks for the advice!! Yes, after reading the suggested websites, it does appear that thee practice is appalling. Thank you for the guidance. I will also look into the dwarf gouramis!!!

K

I want to say one thing about dyed fish. Yes it is a buy at your own risk situation, but it's the same as all the people who buy dogs from a puppy mill. Its wrong, but what can you do if it's already done. I personally own 5 painted glass tetras, and 3 painted jellybean parrot fish. (in separate tanks) all of which I have had going on 2 years now. None have died. Their color hasn't faded and they aren't sick. I understand the terrible nature of which they obtained their beautiful colors, but at the same time it's frustrating that whenever I want to look up information about them all I get is people saying "you shouldn't buy them" instead of answering my simple question of what to do with them!

Kaede- Welcome to AA! :)

If you have specific questions, please post a new thread so that folks can try to help. This is a 7 year old thread...

You will probably always hear the "don't buy them" advice. It's good advice and the purchase of those fish directly translates to the practice continuing.

Back
Top Bottom