painting aquarium trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterfishguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone painted a aquarium trim on a tank that is set up and running. I have a 75 gal tank used for a great price of $40 and thought i could deal with the oak trim. well its been eating at me for several months now. I was not paitent enough to paint it before setting it up which i regret daily now. My problem is i do not have anywhere to move my fish to if i have to drain the tank. is it possible to paint just the outside of the trim or should i just deal with it? any ideas?

If it freaks you out and don't want to try it then you could do a laminate. Heck, even duct tape could work. ;)

Adhesive decorative contact paper. I put a light oak pattern on a buncha my tanks, as I had a mish-mash of oak trim, dark wood trim and black trim on my tanks after 30 years of acquirin' tanks from here and there, and it looked haphazard in the fish room. There are dozens of colors and patterns. Just clean the trim, cut the paper to length and width, and stick. It's water resistant and has worked out very well.

WYite

There is a water base paint on the market call "Milk paint" made by a company called General Finished.

The finish is satin on most of their paints that drys clean(brush strokes)
And I will cover just about anything.

freshwaterfishguy said:
and you have had succes whith painting the trim on a tank with fish in it? I just dont want to harm my babies lol

It's said to be really safe. I use it all the time because one of the great things about it is. You can paint right over polyurethane or any clear coat without sanding a thing. I also just painted one of my tanks back black with it.

If you want you could even tape off any open areas to your tank. If you scared of the fumes getting in the water get keep the area well ventilated and it will be fine. The main thing is don't get the paint in the tank. I think your over thinking this... Don't worry I do it all the time. All you need to do is tape and paint.

Back
Top Bottom