Paludarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wasnt sure if this belonged here or not but I have alot od "general discussion" questions to go with this.
So this is a paludarium build. Plan on vampire crabs (I wanted frogs but I cannot risk the mold). In the water area I am not sure yet. I will list all my questions at the end. I want to do an "L" shape land mass with water in the open area. This will be in a 20 gallon tall aquarium. I plan to have one section built up pretty tall with a water fall flowing down the slope. I may also make a stream going through the "L". I will use pothos vine and different plants to add height. I plan on using gravel, rock, and pvc as necessary to build the land section.

So questions:
1) I ******CANNOT****** have any mold!!!! Somebody in my house is allergic so tips on mold control and prevention are appreciated! I am not using and wood or soil or anything above water to help avoid mold. Will this help?

2) What kind of pump will I need to pump water up about 12 inches for the waterfall? Preferably adjustable.

3) What fish will be compatable with the vampire crabs? I was considering cories but I dont know. Very open to suggestions. I may try bumble bee cats as well.

4) How do I work water heating? It would be akward to squeeze a heater into this tank.

5) Can I use slate from Lowes in the tank?

I am open to any and all other suggestions. I am including 2 horrendous sketches of my ideas :)
(First pic is top down second is face on)

Thanks and God bless!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 76
So I was thinking maybe I could make a false bottom for the land area and thus increase water volume, decrease the amount of rock I would need, and give me a place to hide the pump and heater. I could route water into this cavity through some strategically placed circulation holes. Using slate as a covering. I was also thinking I could make the stream 3-4 inches deep and pile seachem matrix on the bottom with rocks up top as my biofilter. Still have figured out my mechanical foltration.

Back
Top Bottom