Panda Cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I was wondering if panda cories are compatible with platies in a 10G (soon to be planted) tank. I plan on getting two otos as well. Would the pandas be better off in a group of 4 or do you think they would be OK if I had two of them, the two ottos and 5 platies? Or is this overkill? Any suggestions are appreciated. Also I plan on switching my substrate to PFS before adding fish.

Panda cories are compatible with just about anything that won't eat them. I'd actually suggest groups of six for pandas. I started with three and the hid a lot, then I added three more and they were more visible and playful. I added six more for twelve total and they're very playful and happy. The pandas will love the PFS.

I'd caution you about platies in a 10g. They'll breed and take over if you get both males and females. Get all females to prevent this problem.

What kind of filtration are you planning to run? With adequate filtration, I'd say you could probably get away with six pandas, two otos, and a few platies. That'd pretty much max out the tank.

I would do 4 of them even though more is better. But i would not do more then 3 or 4 in your 10g. But i would stop there with fish. Also watch your ammonia/nitrite levels.

I plan on getting a filter for up to 30 gallons for my tank. I am trying to figure out the best combination that I can have. I want my fish to be happy and thrive, but I also want different kinds. I was contemplating just getting 4 pandas instead of the two otos and then mixing in some smaller fish like platies. But I have been wondering about all different combos, waiting for my tank to cycle is giving me way too much time to think about these things. I guess it's better though because when it's ready for fish I will know what I can and can't put in it.

I am really really regretting getting this 10gallon now. I wish I would have at least got 20. MTS kicking in and already planning on my next tank! lol.

LOL i did the EXACT same thing!!! we got a 10 gal kit for a great price, got it set up, threw a couple fish in by the store's advice, when they went downhill i started doing some research, and ended up here. since joining this site we decided a 20 gallon would be better to start with so now we have both! we also found a killer deal on a 25 gallon hex tank w/ stand on craig's list (25 bucks!!!) and bought that too!!! we don't even have room for it!!! pretty sad considering we don't even have fish in any of them yet!!

I was thinking about scoping out craigslist, do they do paypal? I really really want another tank already. I had no idea there was so much more to this hobby. I simply was looking for different kinds of fish to put in my tank and ended up doing tons of research. Then I found out I would have been better off with a bigger tank. I am super excited! lol :p

craig's list is like your classifieds section in the newspaper. normally you will need to go pick up the item and pay cash. just go to craigslist.com, pick your city or state, then browse the listings. i've found that around here when i type in "fish tank" opposed to "aquarium" i get more results. just keep going back and checking daily, when there is a good deal, it goes fast.

I plan on getting a filter for up to 30 gallons for my tank.
Excellent idea. I'd recommend the AC30.

I am really really regretting getting this 10gallon now. I wish I would have at least got 20. MTS kicking in and already planning on my next tank! lol.
Everyone has to start somewhere. You can always upgrade and keep the 10g too. I've gone 3g to 10g to 20L to 29g to 29g & 5g to 29g, 20L, and 5g. I've got a 20g waiting for after my wife and I move in a couple weeks and a ~300g for after I make some structural upgrades to the house we're buying. It may not even stop there.

Yes I just went on craigslist and scoped out a 25G, that will even suffice for now. I plan on getting a 5G for QT tomorrow, but 10G doesn't really leave a whole lot of room to do a lot with I guess. I figure if I can get this 25G then I can get a community tank going and then maybe do a species tank in my 10 or even get a dwarf puffer! Those are so awesome and I would love to have one, but having just one fish saddens me. I don't want him to be lonely for one, and what fun is it just having one???? I definitely have MTS already!

woohoo I already found a 29gallon tank and hopefully it will be mine soon! If not oh well there is a ton more. Oh no I never should have gone on there; I am going to have a bunch of tanks sitting around now lol

Think shrimp tank for your 10g. RCS are really interesting to watch.

Skip the 29g and aim for a 75g. :D Or just get both.

I had almost the exact same set up, with a ten gallon tank. I had 4 Panda's and a few platies. In total, I've had 3 baby platies, which are all grown up now. and i only have one of their parents left. Now that I've upgraded and gotten more catfish, the panda's are less skittish. they tend to school with my skunk and bandit cory, just because they all have black markings.
I got my 30 gallon for free so I never bought anything paste a filter. I would have aimed higher though :) Cories do need to swim to the surface though to breath. The limit i think for the height of the aquarium is like 18" for regular cories, and 12' for oto's, pygmy cories. Not sure if that is legitamentally true, but I stuck to it. My tank is exactly 18" high.

Skip the 29g and aim for a 75g. :D Or just get both.

Lol I would LOVE to have a 75 gallon, but I live on the third floor in an apartment complex so I am not sure if that would be a good idea right now :cool: I was even thinking 55, but I don't want my tank to fall through the floor! Plus I don't really have room for anythng bigger than 30 or maybe even 40 gallons. For now anyways :)

Would panda cories get along if I mixed them with other cories? I am guessing so, but I am having a hard time finding anything on it. I would like to mix them up so I can have ones with different markings for variety, but I want them to be happy and get along.

All corie species get along with each other. Depending on the species you mix they will even school together.

That is what I am hoping for (schooling together). I want to mix bandit cories or adolfo cories (if they are fairly easy to find) with the pandas.

If you don't mind me asking logansmomma, what makes you want the pandas? I heard they are small and have small bio-load for a cory but I am not wise in the way of cories. Is it primarily looks or is there another consideration?

Edit: asking because I am considering pandas.

Well I wasn't partial to any cories at first, because when I had the 55gallon we got a couple cats (synodontis I think) and I didn't really care for them. But the more I read on here the cooler they seem. They almost remind me of little puppies or something lol. Just sounds like they have really cool personalities when in groups. I absolutely love pandas, that is like my thing that I collect (pandas, dragons, japanese themes) so I was thrilled to find out there are panda cories. I was thinking about mixing them with bandit cories or adolfo cories so I can add some variety with their markings. :)

I didn't really read all of this thread on the second page, but anyways:
i have 7 different types in my tank. my panda's school with all of the others, but mostly my bandit cory and my skunk cory, because they have similiar markings, even though my bandit cory and my skunk cory are bigger. Basically cory's of one type will school with other types. They all get along the same. :)

Back
Top Bottom