Panda Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size aquarium are you thinking of? I have 6 in my 30 gallon and they are doing great ! They have never attacked or chase another fish in my tank . When I turn the light off , after about 30 mins I check on my fish and all 6 Cories are in my cave !! I love them to bits , they're really playful and love siding the sand. Because of their barbels you can either have smooth fine gravel of sand. I have sand . Breeding is fairly simple and they only produce a clutch of 12-30 eggs. Well worth the money!

Corydoras

Are panda cories good fish to have in a community aquarium?

Hello g...

If there's a perfect fish for a "Community" tank, then it would be Corydoras. Stock one per every five gallons of tank volume. Best to have a minimum of 5 or 6. More is good. Some believe Corys do best with their own kind, possibly. But, I keep several different kinds together in large tanks and size and species isn't a problem. Large, small or in the middle, mine all get along.

B

Cories are one of my FAVORITE fish. I absolutely adore them. (especially Pandas) They are peaceful, community, bottom dwellers that are very cute and do well in tanks from 10G (for the pygmies)+. I'm not sure how much of an experienced fish keeper you are or how diligent you are at keeping your tank clean so I can't really give you a yes or no answer to your question. But Pandas are pretty delicate in my experience, compared to other Corydora species. If you can keep water stable and such, go for 'em! They are great tankmates! ;) (y)

Cories are one of my FAVORITE fish. I absolutely adore them. (especially Pandas) They are peaceful, community, bottom dwellers that are very cute and do well in tanks from 10G (for the pygmies)+. I'm not sure how much of an experienced fish keeper you are or how diligent you are at keeping your tank clean so I can't really give you a yes or no answer to your question. But Pandas are pretty delicate in my experience, compared to other Corydora species. If you can keep water stable and such, go for 'em! They are great tankmates! ;) (y)

This. If you've got a stable tank (6 months+) with very low nitrates then Panda Cories will likely be a fantastic addition to your tank (Depending on tank size + stock). Otherwise you're better off looking for less frail fish.

I Love Panda Cory, they are the cutest fish ever, BUT they are very sensitive, like everybody says here you must get a bigger tank and carry more than 3 Panda Cory, because i had 2 of them and they died since i have them in a 2.5g. so speaking from experience i wont recommended getting Panda Cory if you are tank is not a 10g or bigger :(

Love corys

but Panda corys prefer slightly cooler temps than most tropical community fish. I keep a tank of pandas and white cloud minnows in a cooler tank (72-74 degrees). When I had just 3 in the tank, they were shy and hid a lot. As soon as I added more, they become very animated, so I agree with the recommendations to keep a school of 6.

I keep julii cories in a community tank and they seem to thrive and be slightly less delicate than the pandas. They are just as animated as the pandas and love surfing in the bubbles and chasing up and down the glass all day.

I have mine in 80F with some Angelfish. They are active and eating well. I had them at 78 for a month or two and bumped it up to 80 when I added the Angelfish. They didn't seem to behave any differently.

I did lose one recently for unknown reasons. He got darker than the rest and was lethargic. Just died out of nowhere. No visible signs aside from the darker coloration, which threw me because most fish pale when stressed or sick from what I understand.

I have mine in 80F with some Angelfish. They are active and eating well. I had them at 78 for a month or two and bumped it up to 80 when I added the Angelfish. They didn't seem to behave any differently.

I did lose one recently for unknown reasons. He got darker than the rest and was lethargic. Just died out of nowhere. No visible signs aside from the darker coloration, which threw me because most fish pale when stressed or sick from what I understand.

Me too, mine died for unknown reasons, he got darker and stopped eating, although when asked here they said because i have them in a 2.5G so probably for me it was that, but still i think they are very sensitive :(

Aniistarr said:
Me too, mine died for unknown reasons, he got darker and stopped eating, although when asked here they said because i have them in a 2.5G so probably for me it was that, but still i think they are very sensitive :(

Do you keep your Cories , swordtails and bloodfins in the 2.5???

Pandas are one of the corydoras species that prefer cooler water. If wild caught, which is common, I wouldn't keep pandas much over 75, if tank bred a little warmer would be acceptable, but 80 is pushing it.

Neons are a food source for angels. Some hobbyists have kept the two successfully, while others report all neons being wiped out. If you don't have an issue with the neons potentially being eaten, it's not a problem. If you start with young angels and raise them with the neons, you'll have the best chances.

Do you keep your Cories , swordtails and bloodfins in the 2.5???

yes, but no more cories and i am giving away the bloodfin so only swordtails for now in my 2.5G i know it is too small for them so i might also give them away and get a betta instead :huh:

Oh bummer :( Your swords will become stunted if you keep them in there since the tank is atleast 10x too small for them. Maybe you can upgrade to a bigger tank for fish and use the 2.5 for something like shrimp.

Yeah you can get a starter 10 gallon at Walmart for $30! It comes with tank, Hood+light, filter, a little bit off food and a little bit off water conditioner. The only thing that you would also need is gravel. You can get a 20 pound bag of black sand at PETCO for $15 online with about $7 for shipping. Gravel is about $12.

Back
Top Bottom