Panda cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby56

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so my girlfriend went and got some fish and I told her to pick me up some Cory catfish and she got some panda corys. I see online the y do best in cooler water and my tank runs anywhere from 76 to 80 will this hurt them? And I have some emerald Cory's will the scoop together?

1. On the condition you acclimatise them properly they will deal with the temperature fine

2. Assuming you mean 'school' the answer is kind of, cories don't really school, they just hang out together and occasionally play together. Cross species playing isn't guaranteed as they tend to prefer their own species company but they will take assurance from being in a group with other species.

Disclaimer: Don't be surprised if you lose some cories in the first two weeks, they're far from sturdy sadly :(

Panda cories do prefer lower temps, usually 72-74 or so. They might not be happy in those water conditions, or they might be fine. It's hard to tell sometimes. It's not simply a matter of acclimation though.

My panda cories and emerald cories get along fine and even hang out together. all of mine are in warmer water (78-80) and are very healthy and active.

It briefly caught my eye, that someone said panda corys prefer sand? Is this true?
Like do they play in the sand? Right now the substrate we have is gravel, and we plan to add the little guys to our tank

I moved from cories from gravel to sand under the impression they'd be 'frollicking' in the sand constantly. I wouldn't say I've noticed any major difference between their actions however since the move.

Cories do prefer finer substrate as it's easier for them to scavenge for food but the most notable difference between the two substrates is that their barbels/whiskers are under less duress.

If you've got gravel and low nitrates (Which is the other factor of barbel errosion) then keep the gravel, if you've got gravel and high nitrates I'd consider switching to sand if you'd like to keep bottom feeders like cories or loaches long term.

Anyway to make a reliable "sandbox" the levels in the tank are excellent, but the look of black gravel with a. Lighter coloured sandbox may have an appealing look

Back
Top Bottom