panda cory catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im getting a panda cory catfish tomorrow. i know they like sand better than gravel... so i was going to buy sand tomorrow and replace the gravel. there are fish in the aquarium so how would i do that? do i have to remove them? Also do i still use a gravel vacuum and siphon? or how would i clean it? Thanks so much :)

Is your gravel rough? You don't necessarily have to change the substrate unless it is. Are you getting atleast 4-6 of them? They are shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of no less than 4, 6 would be best.

Panda Corydoras

Hello Kathleen. I don't think you need to go to the trouble of changing out your substrate for one fish. I have different kinds of Corys and they're fine with a pea gravel substrate. Some have been in my tanks for years.

It's of course your decision, but I'd concentrate on making sure my tank was ready for the new fish and that I carefully followed the steps for acclimating the new fish to the tank.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Kathleen. I don't think you need to go to the trouble of changing out your substrate for one fish. I have different kinds of Corys and they're fine with a pea gravel substrate. Some have been in my tanks for years.

It's of course your decision, but I'd concentrate on making sure my tank was ready for the new fish and that I carefully followed the steps for acclimating the new fish to the tank.

B

+1, they'll be fine with gravel... Or you can always buy more tanks! Lol.

Kathleen, is this for your 10g? Pandas aren't really suitable for a 10, unless you've decided to upgrade? =D Also, they won't do well with a CAE.

The only thing with gravel that stresses concern is the fact that the corys sit on the bottom all the time, sharp pieces of gravel can in fact injure the cory. A rounded pebble substrate or sand is best suited for this species of fish. I have Albino Corys and Tahitian black sand. Floramax has some jagged pieces, but is a clay based substrate which crumbles easily. I see no issues with a round pebble substrate just as long as there are no sharp pieces. Yes they are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 4-6, keeping just one will stress the fish and make it more prone to infections and diseases.

Kathleen, is this for your 10g? Pandas aren't really suitable for a 10, unless you've decided to upgrade? =D Also, they won't do well with a CAE.

I agree. 20 gals and up for pandas. And a CAE needs much larger.

BBradbury said:
I see you have more than a few posts. Are you a Corydoras keeper too???

B

Lol, yes well, I'm about to be lol. I've got a 29 cycling, that's about to house 6 orange lasers. I used to have 2 in a ten gallon when I was a noob, but they didn't get enough to eat. :( now I'm much more educated about cories, and am giving them another chance.

i wont be keeping my cae. she will just get too big and i dont have the right fish with her for when she gets bigger. i will be returning her today. good to know on the bigger tank for the panda cory ill see if i can upgrade to a 20g or else i wont get them. thanks for advice!

It can be hard to take a fishy back in but you're doing the right thing if you can't give it a bigger tank. Good for you (y)

Corydoras

Lol, yes well, I'm about to be lol. I've got a 29 cycling, that's about to house 6 orange lasers. I used to have 2 in a ten gallon when I was a noob, but they didn't get enough to eat. :( now I'm much more educated about cories, and am giving them another chance.

Good for you! I have several fairly large tanks and keep a number of these little guys in with my Fancy Guppies. They're long livers and have seen quite a number of my Fancy Guppy generations.

B

do what i did and clear out a corner of your tank and slowly lower 1 handful in at a time. my corys love it. im always seeing sand on their face.

Lol good to know about the sand. i acyually didnt get a cory today because i cant upgrade my tank for a while so i still have the 10g. but i definitly want one in the future :)

Back
Top Bottom