Panda cory going crazy at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this normal that when it gets dark, my cory panda starts swimming al around the tank very fast?

Doesn't sound unusual, just obviously more confident under the cover of night.

Yeah, mine (5) are more active when I feed them and at night. How many do u have? The reason I ask is because I removed one of mine recently for swimming crazy... Not like the others. Also, they work best in a school of about 6 or more.

You're probably seeing this behavior because the cory is being kept alone. They really need to be in groups of no less than four, in a tank with a much larger footprint such as a 15 or 20 gallon. I would encourage you to look into rehoming your fish if you can't put them in a larger tank and stocking your edge with more appropriate nano fish. None of your stock belongs in a tank that size. There are some great tiny fish out there that could actually thrive in your tank, but neons, platties, and cories cannot. The platties alone will create way too much waste for a tank this size, and tetras are schoolers that need to be in groups of atleast 6.

Is this normal that when it gets dark, my cory panda starts swimming al around the tank very fast?

Is this in your Fluval Edge? I think they would only do that if they were stressed over water quality issues or being kept alone in the tank. The Fluval Edge is too small for him, so I suggest you put him in a bigger tank such as 20 gallons

Thank you very much for your input. It seems I will need to get rid of my fish and stock the fluval with more appropiate fish. I had already considered this and giving away my 3 platies, 3 neon and 1 panda cory to a friend of mine that has a 55 tank. He is happy to take them! I will contact him. :) Any suggestion of fish for nano tanks?
Best.
Bayo

Oh that's fantastic! I looked up the dimensions of the tank, and it's quite perfect for nano fish, you'll have many options. Some to consider: chili rasbora and other micro rasboras, microdevario kubotai, ember tetras, endlers livebearers, least killies, normans lampeye, pygmy sunfish, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, celestial pearl danios, danio erythromicron (aka emerald rasboras), danio tiniwini, hara jerdoni, dwarf shrimp, and dwarf crays such as CPO's and cajun's.

Wow, that quite a lot of variety of fish for my nano tank. I will start looking for these fish. How many of these fish you think would be fine? Around 8 nano fish? Or could I go upt to 12, (6 fish of one specie and 6 of another specie). Let me know... :)

It will actually depend on which species you choose. Some or more active, some are teeny tiny, etc. If you'd like, you can research them and post which you are most interested in. I'd be happy to help you determine if they go together well and how many of each you can have. I'll also list some examples of good stock lists:

6 ember tetra OR microdevario kubotai
2-3 sparkling gourami OR scarlet badis

10 chili rasboras
5 male endlers livebearers OR norman's lampeye

8 least killies
5 pygmy sunfish
^ no heater needed for this stock

6 CPD's OR danio erythromicron OR danio tiniwini
6 hara jerdoni
^ no heater for this tank, the hara's need cooler water, keep in an area that won't exceed around 75 degrees. A sandy substrate is needed for them as well.

6 CPD's OR danio erythromicron OR danio tiniwini
CPO's or cajuns - you could start with 1-2 pairs of either of these as they will reproduce for you.
^ no heater needed for this stock

You could try dwarf shrimp in any of these set ups as well. I'm not saying any of these numbers have to be exact, except for those that are schoolers do need atleast 6, but some good overall examples. :)

Back
Top Bottom