Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Panda cory keep going to surface for gulp of air, oxygen?

My panda cory keep going to surface for gulp of air, but I don't think the water is run out of oxygen. The water level is not high so the AC HOB gives plent of flow and air to the tank and the tank is not crowded at all, has about 15 fish like otto, platy, guppy, tetra and I think it is less than 0.5 inch fish/per gal. I can see tiny air bubbles circuiting around the tank.
Temperature is 77F. Last PWC is 4 days ago.

All other fish are behaving normal. They don't go to the surface. What else can cause the panda cory to go up to the surface for air?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
may just be playing around, some of my fish do that, they just jump and poke there heads outta the water for fun, nopt sure why, I have planety of O2 going, I guess there just bored, is the panda cory doing mosty in the day or at night or both?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corys do that. It's perfectly normal.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
leaving the water too low will burn out your filter in time (it gets weaker) i'd get a $10 airator just to play it safe, the filter may not be enough to airate a 30 gallon. though cories are known for being random
Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Cories swim up and down over and over. That's if they're not sitting at the bottom of the tank, doing absolutely nothing. They're quirky.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Forgot to say, added a large sinking Malaysian Driftwood last Friday, boiled for 1 hour and soaked for another hour before add in. No any noticeable tannins in the tank. That is the only change recently.

Just be on safe side, I added an air pump connecting a long airstone to the other side of the tank. This gives a good air bubble fountain. Let me check their behavior after that.

My air pump (Second Natura Whisper 600 bought and used 13 years ago but haven't been used for 10+ years) has dual outlets (only one is used now) and is quite strong. I need buy a low power one outlet air pump. Any suggestion?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Panda's used to do that all the time. It's normal for them. Little known fact- cories actually fart out the air bubble.

My all time favorite air pump is the Marineland Airmaster. They are completly silent. I have one sitting next to me on my desk tank. The AC filters are louder than the air pump if that gives any kind of inclination about how silent they are.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Talking about load, my order is,

Corallife light fixture - 192W, its fan is the loadest - but people still say it is quite silent compared to other brand of light fixture. I can hear its sound within 9 feet.

HOB AC70 is the second - this is a new one but it sounds louder than my expection, a real surprise to me; I can hear its sound within 6 feet.

The Second Nature Whisper 600 is the third; you have to close to 1 foot to hear it;

HOB AC mini is the most silent - an old one but I can't hear a sound even put my ear within 6 inches to it.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exactly. The ACs are silent. I meant the water splashing even though the water line is just below the output is louder than the air pump.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

cories do that all the time they jet up get air and down again, I have even seen them fart or let air out thru gills or mouth after lol.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Panda Cory that waits for my dog to come over to the tank and then starts zooming up and down and all around. I can hear him laughing in the water as the dog sits there shaking and licking the glass.
In other words, they are characters!
In case you all are thinking he is afraid of the dog, he will go to the side of the tank the dog is sitting by before this behavior. Lol!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #12
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

since where in the subject of characters. I bought 2 julli cories and one would be all over the tank searching for foods and playing the other just didnt do much. here they told me to buy more I went and bought 2 more, instantly one of the newely bought ones clicked with the original one I had in the tank already the one that would be most active. after a several weeks the other two died. one was getting picked on by I have no idea who but he was recieving a beating. now the only 2 that are left the original one searcher and the newely clicking buddy one are swimming up and down along the tank, one goes over the other and so on to move forward. they are a match made in heaven. my dilema is, do I try putting more in or leave it at these 2 great buddies or lovers.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to SeanMurphy
I've got three bronze corys and a pepper cory and they all do the exact same thing. Dart for the surface, then dart back down to the sand. Not to worry about.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

After install air pump and air stone, they still do the same thing, I have to think it is normal behavior. They do it very frequently, they will do it every 5 minutes.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

it is normal for corydoras to do this.
Plants
Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mine do it in trios. they almost dance. it's neat
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

This afternoon, I found the biggest panda cory was sitting on the top of the airstone among the bubble curtain. It likes to take bubble bath. It stays there for hours, quite weird.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_5567_206.jpg (81.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 02-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
my kuhlis, columbians, and gouramis use to do that to
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Ballast. You should hear a big pleco slam into the glasstop trying to do the same thing.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #20

I had a Cory that would swim into the bubble wall riding the bubbles to the top for hours. They are most definately the most entertaining fish you can buy.

Tags
air, cory, oxygen, panda, panda cory, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com