Panda corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Logankwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is almost ready to add fish. My ammonia is at 0 my nitrate is at 0 but by nitrite is high. Once it is at a safe level I am going to add about 3 or 4 pandas to a 10 gallon tank. Now I need feedback. What kind of food an how to take good care of them!

Keep the nitrAtes low. That means don't overstock, don't over feed and keep up on the water changes as Panda Cories are generally fragile fish.

As for food my cories get a mix of bloodworms, brineshrimp, flakes & algae wafers.

My tank is almost ready to add fish. My ammonia is at 0 my nitrate is at 0 but by nitrite is high. Once it is at a safe level I am going to add about 3 or 4 pandas to a 10 gallon tank. Now I need feedback. What kind of food an how to take good care of them!

Do you mean your nitrates are high? Ammonia and nitrites must be at 0, their is no safe level other than 0 for nitrites. You want to keep nitrates preferably around 10

What Cynic said....I have 4 in my 55 and they eat a balance of flake, bloodworms, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets and algae wafers. They are doing very well and growing. One of my favorite cory's.

Yeah my nitrites are high. So I am waiting. But I would like to put sand in. As it would be beneficial to the fish and look of the tank. I am waiting til next week to get them.

You should get the sand in ASAP. It's good for the sand to age with the tank, it creates a lot of beneficial bacteria. Also, I wouldn't add the corries first. Do you plan on adding other fish? If so, what types? Pandas can be quite sensitive, so I would wait until the tank was very stable until adding them. They will eat pretty much anything that you feed them. Flakes, pellets, frozen food, cucumbers, peas...

Yes I was going to put in sand tomorrow and add the fish in once all nitrite is balanced. I might add guppies. But I don't know. I'm going to start off with about 3-4 pandas

Just my two cents. The levels that nitrAtes should be at is a matter of debate. I don't know what your levels are but mine are at about 20 - 30 ppm and my tanks run fine. IMO it is a good indicator that your bacteria colony is working well.

I have kept pandas on and off for many years (I currently have 10 of them) and I have found one absolute must: they will not thrive long term in water warmer than 78 degrees. I don't recall having any pandas die during the cooler months of the year, but always get a few die-offs during the summer months when my tanks reach the 80s.

Also, the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate take a long time to multiply. Depending on where you're at with the cycle, you may have to put your purchase on hold.

All of the foods mentioned are great, but if you want to see them go ape s••• feed them freeze-dried tubifex worms.

Good luck!

David

I have had high nitrites for about 2 weeks now. And my tank is set around 76-78.

Oh jeez I've been cycling it since end of march? I got 3 guppies origionaly. They died within two weeks and ever since then I've been doing water changes and texting it every week.

I bought catfish pellets from my lfs for my corys, they seem to really like those, and they enjoy the normal flakes too, they're usually the first up the top when I'm feeding them :)

What David is asking is what are you using or adding as an ammonia source now? When the tank is cycling you need to continue to add ammonia throughout the entire cycle.

Also the nitrite part of cycling can take up to 4 or more weeks.

Ok I have normal flakes. I was going to get frozen worms or something. But the flakes will do fine?

Back
Top Bottom