panda corys dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had problems with pandas dying as well. I would say its temperature as my new loxozonous seem to be doing well, but the pandas just never seemed to thrive...As for the rams, its highly doubtful that they would kill cory cats. I have a couple bolivians and have never seen them even attempt to chase the cories.

lots of good advice on this thread. sorry about your pandas. they are great pets. i lost one, i think, during careless aquascaping. poor thing probably got buried, i never found him. the others are doing well, though. i am going to lower my temperature a little, I am about 79-80 degrees. I will also look for some shrimp/catfish pellets. i am never sure if they are getting enough food. they do seem to like my algae wafers, but all my fish do (platy, gourami, mollies)

If you are experiencing ph swings this may also cause problems. They need pretty steady ph levels.

Ok, thanks everyone for the advice!
I haven't tested the pH in a long time, I will test tomorrow. I did a water change today ( around 60%) and the corys seem to be doing pretty good.

I got the shrimp pellets yesterday, and the corys (and other fish too) really like them a lot! I will test nitrate tonight.

I had an epiphany the other day about why my panda cories died. I have softened water, which contains salt left over from the process of softening it. Cories can be quite sensitive to salt and my SG reads at 1.003, not super salty, but still fairly salty. Something to think about I guess

Freakgecko91 said:
I had an epiphany the other day about why my panda cories died. I have softened water, which contains salt left over from the process of softening it. Cories can be quite sensitive to salt and my SG reads at 1.003, not super salty, but still fairly salty. Something to think about I guess

I bet that could be an issue !

Looks like you're trying everything you can, so that's good! My cories love shrimp pellets; unfortunately so do my other fish lol Feeding the corys after lights out can help them get to the food since Corys are more nocturnal. So you can feed the other fish normally (and if the Corys get some, great), then after lights-out when the other fish are resting you can drop in a couple of pellets.

I am having that problem too, one of my panda Cory died on Monday.

I always carry 2 Panda Cory on my fish tank and last year they both died i never knew why so i bought 2 more after a couple of months one of them stopped eating and well he died on Monday so now i only have one left and will buy another one tomorrow, hope he will be fine after 4 days being alone :huh:

Aniistarr said:
I am having that problem too, one of my panda Cory died on Monday.

I always carry 2 Panda Cory on my fish tank and last year they both died i never knew why so i bought 2 more after a couple of months one of them stopped eating and well he died on Monday so now i only have one left and will buy another one tomorrow, hope he will be fine after 4 days being alone :huh:

I would try to figure out why yours died before buying another. If you start your own thread, I'd like to ask more questions.

The more the merrier with these guys. I've had quantities ranging from 3 to 6 and they're most happy at 6. They eat better and are more active.

I would try to figure out why yours died before buying another. If you start your own thread, I'd like to ask more questions.

I know i should figure why first, but I don't want to leave the my Panda Cory alone, :( i can't start my own thread not knowing the reason why it died. I tested the Ph and Nitrate and both are fine, i change the water every 2 weeks like 40% to 60% water change. Everything was fine and he just stopped eating showing no sign of illness that i know of, maybe the belly look kind of white, but that was all :huh:

I finally got pandas yesterday ! If you look at my thread new arrivals you can see pics of them!

Back
Top Bottom