PAR meter - need info on buying one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all, Santa has been a bit generous this year and so I'm thinking of a par meter (as if I don't have enough gadgets).

It's tempting as I have several different box LED lights and would like to know what is going on. I'm looking at the unit below. Has anyone used par meters? Found them useful or not useful? Do they need re-calibration? I want it to last for years.

I suspect they will be rare here so I'm also toying with the idea of renting it out. I think that would just be an excuse to see other peoples tanks so not sure on that.

And last question is could I buy something else that would be more useful for that price? I have a constant ph meter for co2 injection, drop checker ordered, basic element tests (except potassium), etc, etc. I did think of better FW planted led lights but they are hard to find here and I'm not sure I can go better than what I have.

Thoughts? Should I just go and get another fishing rod instead??

MQ-200 Quantum Separate Sensor with Handheld Meter - Apogee Instruments, Inc.

I've know what you mean it is really hard to get a varied range of products let alone something like a par meter in aus. I've never seen one at any of my stores but I suspect you'd pay an arm and a leg for one.

Yes, sometimes I think Perth may not be at the end of the world but you can sure see it from here...

With the Aussie dollar falling I'm tempted rather than wait another year. I've found with plants it is all or nothing so each week I was spending $20 on more plants. Now with the co2 injection I haven't been in for 2 months and the hygro has leaves shooting out of the stems.

I've wondered if it was the tap water but the small tank grows plants and algae fine. Foxtail regularly gets transferred across (and then eaten...). Algae growing in the large tank I'd actually count as a success :)

So the plants (mainly val) are making a comeback, I've solved some issues with dry ferts, and the phosphate level is finally down from 5 or 10ppm (may have had an iron phosphate problem before - not sure).

But the plants are not particularly fast growing. As the tank is 2.5ft deep I'm wondering if it would be useful to know what light is making it's way to the bottom. I think I'd need a read out of what reds, greens and blues are making it. Anyways thinking....

Back
Top Bottom