parasite or???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin-Addict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I planted this 10 gallon tank over 2 weeks ago hoping that this week, I would be able to get some ADF (frogs) and neons for it... I am guessing that I have another week or more to wait for my frogs and fish...

After carefully inspecting the glass and water with my magnifying glass, I see that it has 2 critters that I did not invite to the party.

one is a thread like worm that moves along the glass like a snake. it is only about 1/8 inch long, clearish in color. If I had to guess by the photos I have found on the internet, I would say that the worm is a nematode (roundworm) I have not seen it move quickly like I have read they do. It moves very slow along the glass.
nema.jpg

The other in just a speck and swims freely in the water. it is yellowish. I got a video of one of them that does not give you a good look at "IT" but you can see how it moves. http://www.motorsportsillustrated.com/fish/parasite.AVI
From photos on the internet, It looks like a flea?
acrope.jpg

I PP'd the plants over a week ago with jungle Water Clear. (1 teaspoon for the 10 gallons)

I just put in another teaspoon of the water clear. can I put in more?... how much is too much? I have over $50 in plants in this tank. I don't want to scrap it. any suggestions?

So If I am correct in identification... how do :shotgun:I kill the suckers so I can have my frogs?

The worms I believe are harmless, and some of your fish may actually enjoy eating them. I had a betta that would pick those off the glass. The photo didn't work for me however, so I can't be sure.

The water flea is also known as daphnia they eat algae and people with green water used them to clear it up. They are also used as live food.

Back
Top Bottom