parrot fish colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teenierini7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just the other day bought a baby parrot fish, was wondering if it will get more color as it gets older? I'm assuming since it's really young it's supposed to be silver with black markings. My last parrot fish were very bright orange! But when I bought them, they were much larger. :) just curious on what to expect with this one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391883011.441745.jpg

I bought two med size ones who were that color (Same as yours) when I bought them but are now almost black!!! No orange at all, I don't know I got mine from pet smart I am thinking they are just not going to be orange. Maybe no dye?????? I don't know but I love mine they have so much personality!

Oh that's interesting! And yes I find the parrot fish personality to be quite intriguing! They're a lot of fun to keep :) the personality alone is really the reason I picked this one. I simply adore them, but I'm not sure what this one will turn out like. My last parrot fish had bright colored eyes and an outstanding orange color. Never really seen a parrotfish that is black though! Sounds pretty! :)

Naaaa not to pretty lol. They are very dark charcoal gray with black strips... Looks black tho. I will snap a picture tomorrow. They are spawning now so they aren't very friendly.

That is the natural colour parrot, so will not change to orange. These are a hybrid between two species of cichlid, why people like them is beyond me, but each to their own eh!

That is the natural colour parrot, so will not change to orange. These are a hybrid between two species of cichlid, why people like them is beyond me, but each to their own eh!

There are hybrid dogs, cats, PEOPLE i dont know why its such a big deal when its fish! But to each its own everyone has their opinion i can respect that. I love mine!

Here is my picture!!! He let me get a good picture! Have two, here is one. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391982429.708959.jpg

Oh neat! How long have you had them? :) and what tank size do you have them in? I think it's cute!

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my last two parrot fish I had before this one. They were an odd couple! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391984955.312784.jpg

Found another picture of the girl parrot fish. Her name was Lucy :) she would find the weirdest hiding spots xD ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391988558.101137.jpg

I have never seen a parrot that was white!!!! I thought they had stripes too I ave never seen one like that! Pretty fish!

Thanks! Yeah the male was white with an orange face. The female was usually a darker orange than in these pics :p she also would usually have one stripe across her eye. But yeah, they were a neat pair to have :)

Back
Top Bottom