parrot fish/pleco drama, lost cause?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankenberry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5 year old parrot fish who has lived on his own the last 5 years. He is charming, friendly, booming with personality, and quite large. I'd say he's at least 3 to 4 inches, and very bulky. He's currently been in a 75 gallon tank for almost a year.

I have a beautiful pleco at my work who has gotten quite large, at least 5 inches, he severely out grew his 20 gal tank so today I offered him a new life in a much larger tank.

At first the parrot didn't even notice I added the Pleco, I was feeling confident. 3 hours went by and now, my parrot will NOT stop biting him. He has been relentlessly stalking him around the tank just nibbling at him every chance he gets. The pleco seems stressed, he just had a long car ride and now this.

Can these two be friends? Is it a lost cause? Should I bring the pleco back to his tiny 20 gallon nightmare? Do they get used to each other? Is this just because it's their first day? Is my parrot actually hurting him? So many questions,... I need help with my fish drama. I don't want to put either in danger.

Try removing both fish and rearranging the decor and hidey holes, might as well give everything a good cleaning. Then try adding them again at the same time. Throw some food in right after you let them loose.

Try removing both fish and rearranging the decor and hidey holes, might as well give everything a good cleaning. Then try adding them again at the same time. Throw some food in right after you let them loose.

This is a pretty good way to start. Possibly get more caves, branchy woods and stuff to further break line of sight.
Time will tell if they'll work but parrots are known to be pretty nasty. What kind of pleco are we talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm actually not sure, I don't know too much about fish breeds, he's big with a light leopard print type pattern, but I think that's common for plecos. Is the parrot actually hurting him?

Yeah probably hurting the pleco. 3-4 inches is small for a parrot that is 5 years old, is he stunted? Typically cichlids don't do great with plecos since they are pretty slow and lethargic. Some tolerate them, some don't.

Edit: maybe I should clarify, are we talking parrot cichlids?

Yeah probably hurting the pleco. 3-4 inches is small for a parrot that is 5 years old, is he stunted? Typically cichlids don't do great with plecos since they are pretty slow and lethargic. Some tolerate them, some don't.

Edit: maybe I should clarify, are we talking parrot cichlids?

I doubt it's a true parrot but I could be wrong. 99% when someone says parrot they mean the hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just checked a website I often use called Tropical Fish and Aquarium Compatatility.
That site says a Common Pleco is compatable with a Blood Parrot.
I have a 75 gal tank that had 2 blood parrots and a few Silver Dollars in it. Then I bought another blood parrot. For about two weeks the new parrot was chased and he cowered in a corner behind a filter hose. I thought I'd have to return him. But after a few weeks the other parrots accepted him. I think he was picked on because the other fish were established and he/she was the newcomer. All of the fish in the tank now get along fine. Hang in there and give them some time.

Back
Top Bottom