Partial Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcutl002

Aquarium Advice Addict
I do about a 50% PWC once a week and it just seems like the fish are happier. They seem more peaceful.

I guess it is akin to changing the oil in an automobile...the engine seems to run better and smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you should always do weekly water changes of at least 30%! I like to do 50 as well though :) fish definitely perk up with some fresh water.
I agree that water changes can solve almost all problems. I just cured my tank of ich by doing huge water changes multiple times a week and nothing else. No heat, no salt, no medication.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it necessary to disturb the bottom when doing PWC? New to the forum here, but not new to aquariums. Been out of the game for about 5 years but just purchased a new 45 gallon tall and am anxious to get started this weekend.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, unless your tank is planted, because the plant roots will use the debris that falls down into the substrate.

Ok. Wasn't sure it was necessary with every WC. I've read where it is preferable to only clean sections of the substrate at a time.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, if you have a very light fish load or are cycling your tank, it's probably not necessary. But in general it's a good thing to do. Excess detritus and fish waste build up under the substrate can cause high nitrates as well as many other problems.

Back
Top Bottom