Partition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to Partition my tank before I go away so the pair of angels stop attacking the other two, they are cleaning a leaf as I write this, what do you think...........

The pair will continue attacking the other two for the rest of their lives. They need their territory and your tank sounds like it is not big enough for both the pair's territory and the other two angels' territory. How big of a tank is this? Are you prepared to keep the tank divided for that long, or are you hoping this is a temporary measure? Dividers are not fool proof, they can be jumped over and can sometimes interfere with your filtration and tank circulation.

Thanks for your reply, my idea is to separate them until the other slightly smaller 2 get big enough to fend for themselves, also one has been fin nipped so it will have time to grow them back, the flexi glass has lots of vertical slats in, so circulation should be ok, at the moment they have to hide except at meal times, or when I am there, my tank is 50g, 29" high,33" long so lots of space.........I must build them up, cichlid behaviour!! they were all bought at the same time and same size..........

I think that partitioning the tank should work while you are away as long as it is well secured and there is not a way around it.

That being said, a 33" tank is not really a big enough for a mated pair to share with other angels long term in most circumstances. Especially if it is only 12" deep.

I think that partitioning the tank should work while you are away as long as it is well secured and there is not a way around it.

That being said, a 33" tank is not really a big enough for a mated pair to share with other angels long term in most circumstances. Especially if it is only 12" deep.

Agreed. I wouldn't try to have any other angels with a mated pair in anything less than 75g personally. They can stake out quite large territories and will not stop harassing the others until they kill them.

29" deep Dalto, a lager tank is not possible guys I was lucky to get a 50g.......

29" deep Dalto, a lager tank is not possible guys I was lucky to get a 50g.......

It's a 50g, so it should be 33" long, 29" tall, but only 12" deep (width, not height). Most adult angel pairs will stake out a 2 foot cubic territory, meaning there's definitely not enough room for the other two angels to stay out of their way. Breeding mode or not, doesn't matter, the pair won't tolerate intruders. If you can't get a larger tank you'll need to rehome the two angels that aren't paired, otherwise you're dooming them to get harassed to death.

Angels require a deep tank L; they grow upwards more than length, hence the 29" deep

Angels do need a sufficiently tall tank. ie. One that is about 16" tall. When it comes to territory, that height isn't going to help you all that much.

Angels require a deep tank L; they grow upwards more than length, hence the 29" deep

Yes, I understand that and agree, hence my comment about how the 12" deep was referring to how far back the tank extends, or its width, not its height. You have a properly tall and long tank, but since it's not very wide there isn't enough territory for more than a single pair. For a pair of angels plus extras, you need a 75g to have enough cubic space for multiple territories. That's what we're trying to explain.

Also, your tank is fairly sparsely decorated, which only compounds the territory problems. It looks very pretty, but it's also very easy for the angels to see each other. There's very few broken lines of sight for the unpaired angels to hide from the pair. If you insist on attempting to keep all 4 angels, you need more plants and decor added in the middle to help split the tank into two territories.

Thanks Laun, I can see what you mean, length would have been better, I am not interested in breeding them, so what your thoughts as above post to Dalto

Now what!! tanks going to look empty........what would go with a pair of angels

If you only have the angels you can add some Cory cats to give bottom of the tank some activity.

With 50g you have a decent amount of space once you're down to the pair. It looks like you have a couple midwater schools already, so I second the suggestion of a school of bottom dwellers, or getting more members for your midwater schools.

For bottom dwellers, loaches or cory cats are fun, active additions. If you go the loaches route, Dwarf Chain Loaches stay smallest, allowing you to add more of them for more active and boisterous behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom