Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2003, 10:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Partners for a blue crab?

I'm thinking about putting a blue crab into my new tank and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. The reason I ask is that I was at my lfs and noticed that the crab in a tank with other smaller fish (can't remember what they where, small like neon size though) would sit perfectly still with claws extended and wait for a fish to come near and sure enough one would, only to meet it's maker at the fate of a lightning fast movement from the crab's claw.

Has anyone had these crabs in there tanks? and have they been a benefit or a nuisance?

Old 12-01-2003, 02:31 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Well, Brendan, that's the problem with crabs, crayfish, lobsters etc. They tend to take over the tank.

I've got some blue crayfish and the only fish that would consistently outswim their claws were Zebra Danios. Megalofyia has tiger barbs in with hers, and they do pretty well.

The other problem you must keep in mind is that taking the aggressive fish route won't necessarily work. If you have tough fish like Jack Dempseys or Comprecciseps-s, these fish may well get your crab while he's molting. Also, puffer species have a real love for crustaceans and may well make the crab's life unpleasant.

Ah, but you have fish already, I think... Personally, I'd say look for another neat bottom dweller in your tank; wait on the crabs. Loaches are a neat option--Yoyo loaches, kuhli loaches, tiger loaches are all beautiful and fun.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasafish

I've got some blue crayfish and the only fish that would consistently outswim their claws were Zebra Danios. Megalofyia has tiger barbs in with hers, and they do pretty well.
Yep and I have found that baby tiger barbs are too curious for their own good. They like to investigate the blue crawdad. The older tiger barbs do fine they are smarter.

Madasafish - do you happen to know if zebra danios get along with tiger barbs? I 've been wanting to add another type of fish to the tank.
Megalofyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Megalofyia...

Zebra Danios get along reasonably well with Tiger Barbs. You might even consider the so-called Giant Danio....it is a bit larger than the Zebra and can hold its own a bit better with Tiger Barbs.

All of these fish are fast-movers and are pretty adept at keeping out of each other's way. Oh...avoid the long-finned strains of the Zebra Danios....those long, flowing fins are absolute barb magnets!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat
Megalofyia...

Oh...avoid the long-finned strains of the Zebra Danios....those long, flowing fins are absolute barb magnets!
ok! Thanks
Megalofyia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com