Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pea puffer

I have a 55 gallon community tank, Iím ready with a 5 gallon tank if the pea puffer gets aggressive. My question, Should I get another pea puffer or is one good enough? Thank you

Old 01-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What? You realize they max out at an inch? It's all wrong for them.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely put him in the 5 gallon tank already. He can't and won't do well in the 55.
(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a pea puffer alone in a 5 gallon. Unless you are doing a group of just pea puffers in the 55 gallon, that would be super cool. But if it's an average community tank, I would just put the one pea puffer straight in the 5 gallon. They are pretty aggressive, and don't tend to do well with community fish.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Think velociraptor. And your other fish are the tourists. Put it in the 5.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Location: I am from the U.S. Virgin Islands, but I now live in Massachusetts.
I would not put more than 1 pea puffer in a 5 gallon tank.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read your posts and LAUGH at you all! MY pea puffers started in a 5 gallon. One died due to a heater malfunction and I moved the remaining one to my 55 with my amazon puffer. they both couldnt be happier!
My pea puffer is WAY more active in the big planted tank and has literally zero fear of anything. I recently saw it get annoyed enough at an angel to take off one of its whiskers.

They are very intelligent and curious fish. If its a juvenile, maybe start it in a small tank, but so long as the big tank has hiding places and space, it should be fine, I would def get another if they are juvie though. Mine were side by side until grown, then they wanted their own spaces.

aside that though, each fish is different and my puffers and angels are all extremely lax. Could be because I keep them well fed with a variety of foods, including live in well planted tanks.

Id say all my fish pretty much have the itis
Old 01-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil Nick View Post
I read your posts and LAUGH at you all! MY pea puffers started in a 5 gallon. One died due to a heater malfunction and I moved the remaining one to my 55 with my amazon puffer. they both couldnt be happier!
My pea puffer is WAY more active in the big planted tank and has literally zero fear of anything. I recently saw it get annoyed enough at an angel to take off one of its whiskers.

They are very intelligent and curious fish. If its a juvenile, maybe start it in a small tank, but so long as the big tank has hiding places and space, it should be fine, I would def get another if they are juvie though. Mine were side by side until grown, then they wanted their own spaces.

aside that though, each fish is different and my puffers and angels are all extremely lax. Could be because I keep them well fed with a variety of foods, including live in well planted tanks.

Id say all my fish pretty much have the itis
So you don't think the angels whiskers are important? Bet your angel begs to differ.. they're not community fish. It's not debatable, it just is...
Old 01-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

As a puffer owner for years am going to also tell you there not community fish but its your tank you so as you please and amazon puffer are brakish water so dont know what you doing
Old 01-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
As a puffer owner for years am going to also tell you there not community fish but its your tank you so as you please and amazon puffer are brakish water so dont know what you doing
Amazon puffers are not brackish. They can tolerate brackish conditions but thrive in fw.

Tags
puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com