Pea puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylreveb20

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon community tank, I’m ready with a 5 gallon tank if the pea puffer gets aggressive. My question, Should I get another pea puffer or is one good enough? Thank you

Definitely put him in the 5 gallon tank already. He can't and won't do well in the 55.

I have a pea puffer alone in a 5 gallon. Unless you are doing a group of just pea puffers in the 55 gallon, that would be super cool. But if it's an average community tank, I would just put the one pea puffer straight in the 5 gallon. They are pretty aggressive, and don't tend to do well with community fish.

I read your posts and LAUGH at you all! MY pea puffers started in a 5 gallon. One died due to a heater malfunction and I moved the remaining one to my 55 with my amazon puffer. they both couldnt be happier!
My pea puffer is WAY more active in the big planted tank and has literally zero fear of anything. I recently saw it get annoyed enough at an angel to take off one of its whiskers.

They are very intelligent and curious fish. If its a juvenile, maybe start it in a small tank, but so long as the big tank has hiding places and space, it should be fine, I would def get another if they are juvie though. Mine were side by side until grown, then they wanted their own spaces.

aside that though, each fish is different and my puffers and angels are all extremely lax. Could be because I keep them well fed with a variety of foods, including live in well planted tanks.

Id say all my fish pretty much have the itis

I read your posts and LAUGH at you all! MY pea puffers started in a 5 gallon. One died due to a heater malfunction and I moved the remaining one to my 55 with my amazon puffer. they both couldnt be happier!
My pea puffer is WAY more active in the big planted tank and has literally zero fear of anything. I recently saw it get annoyed enough at an angel to take off one of its whiskers.

They are very intelligent and curious fish. If its a juvenile, maybe start it in a small tank, but so long as the big tank has hiding places and space, it should be fine, I would def get another if they are juvie though. Mine were side by side until grown, then they wanted their own spaces.

aside that though, each fish is different and my puffers and angels are all extremely lax. Could be because I keep them well fed with a variety of foods, including live in well planted tanks.

So you don't think the angels whiskers are important? Bet your angel begs to differ.. they're not community fish. It's not debatable, it just is...

As a puffer owner for years am going to also tell you there not community fish but its your tank you so as you please and amazon puffer are brakish water so dont know what you doing

As a puffer owner for years am going to also tell you there not community fish but its your tank you so as you please and amazon puffer are brakish water so dont know what you doing
Amazon puffers are not brackish. They can tolerate brackish conditions but thrive in fw.

They are born in fresh water as they get older they move to brakish water you know when your amazon puffer is ready for brakish water when they belly turns gray or off white cuz the fresh water stresses them and they become way more aggressive am not going to argue with you you know what you doing says the guy that haves plants with his puffer lol they dont even live no were near plants and the wild just sand they do circle on the sand with they belly to show off to other mates.. bye i bet you dont even know that they have teeth and that they are poisonous to other small fish with one bite they will die in a few days even if the bite wasent critically amazon puffer also known *** the lepord in the fish world is not for biggeners i dont blame you i blame yhe freaking pet store that sells them *** fresh water fish but dont tell no one that they have to move them to brakish bye have a good one brookster

Everyone just is posting from their personal experiences.
I just think it would be a pain feeding a pea puffer in a 55 and making sure he gets enough food after all the other bigger fish get to it.

They are born in fresh water as they get older they move to brakish water you know when your amazon puffer is ready for brakish water when they belly turns gray or off white cuz the fresh water stresses them and they become way more aggressive am not going to argue with you you know what you doing says the guy that haves plants with his puffer lol they dont even live no were near plants and the wild just sand they do circle on the sand with they belly to show off to other mates.. bye i bet you dont even know that they have teeth and that they are poisonous to other small fish with one bite they will die in a few days even if the bite wasent critically amazon puffer also known *** the lepord in the fish world is not for biggeners i dont blame you i blame yhe freaking pet store that sells them *** fresh water fish but dont tell no one that they have to move them to brakish bye have a good one brookster
Sure about That? Find me specific info backing up your claims?? Everyhting I've read states they basically cruise rivers going where they want when they want? I realize they have teeth, I have 3, they're all doing great, chomping a way on snails. Poison bite you say? They may poison you if you bite them.. I have plants with mine, I guess the key to a successful puffers setup is plenty of structure to explore and form territories. I don't know.. I guess I'm just lucky... 3 pea puffs and 3 amazon in a 3ft tank with a few corys and otos sprinkled I the mix. Had them all a little while.

Am not here to teach just telling you my experiace cuz i been breeding my puffer in my 100 gallon for 5 years but good luck on your fish like a said you know more then me

Am not here to teach just telling you my experiace cuz i been breeding my puffer in my 100 gallon for 5 years but good luck on your fish like a said you know more then me
Surely you wouldn't mind backing up your claims? I just havnt read anything corroborating what youre saying. Do you have picture of your puffers? Are they def. Amazon? I never said I knew more than anyone, I just know what I know and what I've read.

Just as a heads up venom is injected through bites or stings whereas poison is ingested by eating an animal or plant...no such thing as a poisonous bite. Just clarifying

Just as a heads up venom is injected through bites or stings whereas poison is ingested by eating an animal or plant...no such thing as a poisonous bite. Just clarifying
Ahwwwwkuatualllyyy.. the komodo dragon is neither considering poisonous or venomous yet a single bite will most likely kill it's victim;)

So you don't think the angels whiskers are important? Bet your angel begs to differ.. they're not community fish. It's not debatable, it just is...

In the puffers defense, it was feeding time and with live worms flying around the puffer prob got excited and just grabbed a dangly thing to eat. He didn't go after the angel and let's be honest angels are not the most docile fish to each other and will easily attack another and take a whiskey or fin.

I have another buddy who has a 29 but pre crash he had 2 peas in there as a community. One was great and the other was a jerk
Puffers depend on the fish. They are known to be nippy but given space and hiding they're fine.
His tank crashed on him though so there's no telling what would happen in the end.
I think like pitbulls they get a much worse rap than they deserve.

Back
Top Bottom