Pea Puffers = Dwarf Puffes & How do you sex Blue Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Pea Puffers = DP?

Pretty much wat the subject says. Are Pea Puffers DP? I went to a LFS and saw they had some tiny puffers 3.99 each..... (High Price?) They where less than or about 1 inch. Can't really remeber how they looked because I was watching the Blue Rams more. I want to make a DP Tank, but not sure if those are it and plus the price is higher than the first time I saw them. Which was at San Fran. For like 1.99 each or 2 for 1.99. Not sure.

How do you sex Blue Rams?

Right now I have 2 1.5-2 inch Blue Rams that I am about 75% sure they are female. They have the blue sparkly things on the bodies and on most of the sites I looked up it said if they had it usually they are females. The Rams have a big patch of it on their body so I would think its female. They also have some black spots. They have a black stripe going down from the top of their head, through their eye and all the way down. I want to know if they are actually females and what a male usually looks like. I went to the LFS today.... they had them about 1 inch for $6.99. I got mine for 2.99 and mines are bigger too...-_- A few of them looked full of eggs or extremely bloated. I didn't really know how to tell which are male, but I decided not to buy them because of their price and I wanted to check here to see how you sex them. I might sell the ones I have and go for another fish.

TIA

Hi,

Yup, a pea puffer is another name for a dwarf puffer. They cost 2.59 at PetSmart near me and 1.99 at a small lfs near my friend. so around 2-3 dollars maybe? Good luck with your dp tank.

Cheers :)

Thanks. Anybody know if DP are compatible with Metanlinus Corydoras? And what would a good set up be. If I do make one instead of the Rams. I'm starting to sway toward the dwarf puffers. I've been wanting them since a while back, but then saw the Rams and I wanted them lol.

Oh and another question Blue Rams related. In the Rams I saw today, they were 1 inchish and like were extremely colorful, where they juiced up with hormones or something?

also with Rams, the females usually aren't quite as vividly colored, and the black spot in the central body isn't as pronounced.

Rams are able to change their coloration when stressed...or rather drop their colors. I've bought tiny, brown colored rams at my LFS before, brought them home to a lush, planted 20 gallon, with a couple dither fish...and they looked like the photo Psyhampster posted within 24 hours.

The last thing I'll mention is that blue rams ARE one of those fish that needs particular water parameters. Meaning, a more neutral to slightly acidic pH...and thus fairly soft water. I had marginal success keeping rams, but every other water change, even with properly dechlor'd water of the same temp as the tank...I'd lose a ram. Eventually I gave up...but I may try them again when my 20 is freed up (I plan to move my guppies to the 29gallon)

Wait are Blue Rams with the blue patches female? Because if they aren't always female then I must have 2 males I think? Unless they don't feel like showing pink on their stomach. Malkore maybe it's because your blue rams are adjusted more to acidic water and need more time so their body systems can get more adjusted to the new Ph? I had my Blue Rams for about 1 week and I have done 3 water changes and I haven't lost one yet.

Oh btw Psyhampster, My Blue Rams aren't as colorful :( I must be doing a bad job at raising them and my I don't have that many plants. Maybe my fish are later bloomers? lol The dominant Blue Ram seems to have the best coloring. Its sides get very blue and its bottoms fins start to get a bit reddish to orangish color. Its head is more to of a yellow/ goldish color with the black stripe going down its head. It has some black spots like the picture on the site. That's the black spot I'm talking about except it's more further to the right on my fish, but not too far right.

Back
Top Bottom