peaceful catfish for a south american/amazon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
can any of you suggest a good catfish that doesn't get very big that'd be great for my 92 gallon amazon-based tank? i WAS thinking of a raphael catfish but those will definetely eat my other fish...i'm trying to find one that won't get too much bigger than 6 inches or so? any ideas?

in there right now i have:

1 sailfin pleco (6")
5 cory cats
10 cardinal tetras (getting more)
2 german blue rams
4 otocinclus

What about Hoplo Catfish

They get about 5" or less, they are a Callichthyidae species.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=10480&cat=500&ppuser=8018

That there is a link to them in my photo gallery. They are really cool. They are bubble nesters (like bettas).

Had 3 of those until recently ... left small threadfin rainbow fish alone so i wouldn't be too worried about your tetras or otocinclus catfish

Planted tank? you mean, re-planted every morning

yeah, that is the truth! that's why we're gonna get rid of it at some point.

i do however want to get some more cory cats, but i was still wanting a decent sized catfish.

we used to have an iridescent shark, we've had it for about 15 years (ended up being 18" when we got rid of it). i'm looking for a new catfish of decent size (but not huge) that's from south american/amazon. lol i know that's pretty picky but i'm gonna keep looking lol

the hoplo catfish seems pretty cool, although through what i've researched about half of the web sites said they get up to 5" and the other half said they get up to 9" and shouldn't be kept with small tetras.

i went to my LFS today and i saw some bumble bee cats there though...they seem kind of reclusive but i'm gonna look up some info on them right now!

Jchillin said:
Why not take a look at my sig for some nice dwarf pleco's, like the bristlenose for example?

hmm, for some reason your sig doesn't show up in my browser.

BUT, i was thinking about some dwarf plecos too. another LFS near here has emperor plecos! they look really awesome, they zoom around the tank like crazy! really expensive though. i'd like to get one but i can't find any information on them whatsoever (so i have no idea if they are even dwarf plecos because i don't know how big they get!)

that'd be cool to have one, especially since i'm getting rid of my sailfin pleco. but i'm sure if i got a different kind that one would just eat my plants too...hmmm

SeymourFRESH: Hoplo cats have 2 species really ... one is large and the other is smaller .. most Hoplosternum Thoracata are at the 5" size I think it is the Megalicthis (spelling may be wrong) that is the larger of the 2

Back
Top Bottom