Peaceful stock to go with what I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliffy1203

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
My 46 gallon bowfront freshwater aquarium is doing well but I have had some stocking issues.

I currently have 2 dwarf gouramis, three platies, 1 Molly, one Cory cat, 1 zebra danio, eleven neon tetras, and two roseline sharks (are these the same as Denniston's barbs).

At the suggestion of my LFS, I had added two German Rams, but after a while they started hunting and killing my tetras. I donated them to another LFS.

Then, again at the suggestion of the LFS, I added two Green Scats, but they relentlessly attacked my dwarf gouramis and killed one tetra. After two days of them torturing every other fish I returned them to the LFS.

What are some other freshwater fish with interesting body types/shapes that will get along with my community fish? I'd like a diverse population in my tank, with unique looking fish, though I guess I'll never be able to approach the diversity in many saltwater aquariums.

Any advice would be really helpful! Thanks so much....

Bill

Smart idea to come to us. What is left in your tank after the killing spree?
A couple of more Danios is the first I recommend ... They do better in schools.

FYI ... Your Denison Barbs ..aka roseline ... Will end up needing a larger tank. They can get up to 6inches and 48inch long tanks like a 55gal is better for them. For now I'm assuming they are still 2 inch juveniles? If so you have time and they'll be fine for now.

You have a pretty diverse group of fish now :)

I'd add 5 more zebra danios
Corys need groups too; add 5 more of the same type.
The "Sharks" are the Denisonii barbs and also do better in groups, add 4 more.

And with that you're fully (and maybe a tad over) stocked.

It's not a good idea to add any more Roseline barbs. They do prefer schools but your tank is just too small and you will be asking for trouble since they will grow (unless your already planning on upgrading to a bigger tank). Do increase your Cory cats, they do and feel much more secure in a school. You already have neons, a molly, and platy's. Upping your danio's is another good idea, same reason as with the cory's. I'd say add an angel for a different body shape, BUT angels will see neons as lunch. If you didn't have neons, then you could do 1-2 angels. Hopefully the active danio's wouldn't drive angel/angels crazy. So if you up your danio and cory school, you would have:

10 neons
3 platy's
1 molly
1 DG
2 Roseline's
6 Cory cats
6 danio's

That is a pretty full house right there. You don't want to over crowd or you can have alot of different issues. BTW, I am still having problems with the fact a fish store actually sold you a brackish water fish that gets big.

Thanks so much for the helpful advice, everybody!

I think my LFS is just looking to sell fish and doesn't really give quality advice. The Scats were a nightmare.

I definitely want to add some more danios and cory cats.... will glo-fish danios school with regular danios? and will cory cats of different colorings/markings also school together?

Don't know about the danios schooling but different cory cats will school together (if they want to). I have three different types of cory's 9 in all and sometimes they school, sometimes do their own thing, or buddy up in little groups. They just prefer having a higher number of their own kind.

We have a golden lyretail guppy that is absolutely gorgeous. He's like nothing we've ever had before and he doesn't bother anything else in our tank.

Back
Top Bottom