Peacock eel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peacock eels will eat small things, like fry, but I've never heard of them being mean, the one I had was the most peaceful fish I had, my platy is a bigger bully

This is great news.. i may just have to add one to my tank :D:D:D

i do have one final question at least for now, how often do they come out during the day?

Mine came out at dusk and dawn. but with many hiding places, it may feel more secure and come out during the day. I miss my eel.

Mine came out at dusk and dawn. but with many hiding places, it may feel more secure and come out during the day. I miss my eel.

I have a lot of plants and hiding spaces, mine was out all the time, it would swim back and fourth across the tank then up and down the sides, then it would hide for a bit and do it all over again

Same with my tt eel. Once in awhile he'd cruise the rock pile searchin for goodies then back under his flower pot he'd go. My eel only gets fed 3× a week but normally everyday when the other fish get fed he'll come up begging.
I forget who it was that told you "Hholly" that teaching them to hand feed is a "trust thing" but it's true. Once they get accustomed to you being in the tank cleaning or rearranging they'll learn your not a threat and as soon as they figure out YOU ring the dinner bell their shyness subsides a bit.

Same with my tt eel. Once in awhile he'd cruise the rock pile searchin for goodies then back under his flower pot he'd go. My eel only gets fed 3× a week but normally everyday when the other fish get fed he'll come up begging.
I forget who it was that told you "Hholly" that teaching them to hand feed is a "trust thing" but it's true. Once they get accustomed to you being in the tank cleaning or rearranging they'll learn your not a threat and as soon as they figure out YOU ring the dinner bell their shyness subsides a bit.

Yep. My rams know that I bring food. Even if it's not feeding time, they come begging at the front of the tank.

Cichlid Kid said:

Cool, hopefully that will happen. I moved the Cory cats to a different tank because I think they were stressing the eel out. Hopefully he'll come around.

Throwing out a long shot here but what do you guys know about the mastacembelus liberiensis a.k.a. Orange spotted eel. We got one today and he is just beautiful!

I've had a peacock eel in my 55 for close to a year now. he stays buried most of the time and i have never see him eat.. But I do drop bloodworms in at night and put in ghost shrimp occasionally and they seem to disappear over the span of a week or so...and he's still alive.. Don't give up:)

hal9089 said:
I've had a peacock eel in my 55 for close to a year now. he stays buried most of the time and i have never see him eat.. But I do drop bloodworms in at night and put in ghost shrimp occasionally and they seem to disappear over the span of a week or so...and he's still alive.. Don't give up:)

Thanks. I'm trying the ghost shrimp thing. So far it seems to be the angelfish that get most of them. I haven't seen my eel in a week. :( I really wish it were more visible.

mine has been in the tank for 16 months and it comes and goes as it pleases..if its eating you wont see it cause they tend to be lazy and lounge under stuff in gravel sand and so on..since ive been posting on this thread about eels i got fish happy and picked up a leopard eel and its been in the tank about a week and its already eating live black worms.. dont know if you can find them where your from but i have had no fish refuse them on me i get a half lb a week for all the fish in the tank plus ghost shrimps and guppys

abstract373 said:
mine has been in the tank for 16 months and it comes and goes as it pleases..if its eating you wont see it cause they tend to be lazy and lounge under stuff in gravel sand and so on..since ive been posting on this thread about eels i got fish happy and picked up a leopard eel and its been in the tank about a week and its already eating live black worms.. dont know if you can find them where your from but i have had no fish refuse them on me i get a half lb a week for all the fish in the tank plus ghost shrimps and guppys

Thanks. For some reason I was thinking black worms carried some nasty parasite, so I'm a little leery. I'm continuing to try different things. Not sure who's eating what. The fish are certainly well fed. Lol. Just wish I had known I would never see this eel, before I bought it. My bad for not finding out in advance. :-/

Good luck with your leopard eel. Does it eat while you watch it?

Back
Top Bottom