Peacock eel gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyAdams2211

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a peacock eel yesterday. I already had normal gravel substrate in the tank (20 long w/ 5 tiger barbs) but before adding him I shifted all of the substrate to the left of the tank and added a new substrate on the right side which is fine and smooth so he won't scratch himself while burrowing. The new substrate takes up about a quarter of the tank's floor (its white compared to the other substrate which is purple, the contrast actually looks really cool haha) I also put a perfect cave on top of the new gravel so he can hide in there. For some reason he has stayed in the old substrate and not gone over to the new stuff. He is already about 7 inches so I'm wondering if maybe his skin is mature/strong enough to handle the rough gravel. What do you guys think, has he just not discovered the smooth gravel yet or does he not care?

Your peacock eel should be fine.. The most likely reason he wont touch it is because most gravel over time form whats called "good bacteria".. He may not like the new gravel because it doesnt match hes likeings.. My eels go thru my gravel all the time and they look perfect... They do this there whole life and there bodys are prone to this. ( as long as the rocks arent sharp or WAY to big).

no... I have moonlight gravel... But ive been doing this for years... I spend ALOT of money on my 125 gallon 75 gallon and 10 gallon tanks

But what would be good is a full 2 inches of fine gravel... Just keep in mind eels love to poop under the gravel... So a good gravel vacuum is a most

Haha noted. Thanks, my gravel is about 2 inches as of now, but as I said its some rough and some fine.

Back
Top Bottom