Peacock eel vs. tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lalalameg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two of my best friends recently gave me a peacock eel for my two-week old 20 gal. The tank is 30 in long x 10 tall x 12 wide and the eel is about 5 - 6 in long. I just want to make sure that this tank is spacious enough for him. There are several large rocks for hiding spots and about seven plants as well. His only other tank mates are three platys. Thanks!!

Yes he will be fine for a while but will eventually need a larger tank. What substrate do you have?

Hi as you probably have gathered a bigger tank is really needed:fish2: but will be ok for a short while:) Is the eel feeding OK?

Substrate was my second question...I have a somewhat fine gravel, the rocks aren't large but also aren't tiny. I read sand is more ideal. He's only buried himself a couple of times when spooked if I come near the glass. The rest of the time he just swims around and isn't too shy. I'm not sure about feeding, I read to feed them after the other fish and when the lights are turned out so I do it when I go to bed. I haven't watched him yet to see if he's eating (tonight I will) but I do hear little splashes coming from the tank. How will I know when he needs a bigger tank? Definitely wasn't exactly what I wanted for my next fish...

Dried bloodworms. Looks like I'm doing everything wrong! I usually like to do my research before getting a new fish...

I fed mine frozen bloodworms and he loved em! Your not doin everything wrong, it just takes some time! Lol you will get the hang of it :)

Most will not take pellets. You should try forzen blood worms and krill. Once he gets larger earth worms are a great food. Good luck! I have a Fire Eel and he only eats Ghost Shrimp. : / picky little guys.

Well I watched him tonight and it appears as though my other fish have been gobbling up his bloodworms before he can get to them (although I may not have waited long enough between feeding times). Maybe I'll try a food that sinks rather than floats, as you all mentioned.

lalalameg said:
Well I watched him tonight and it appears as though my other fish have been gobbling up his bloodworms before he can get to them (although I may not have waited long enough between feeding times). Maybe I'll try a food that sinks rather than floats, as you all mentioned.

They wont eat floating foods.

Good news: It seems to like the frozen bloodworms I bought today! I never actually saw him eat any of them but it was swimming/hovering over them so I'm assuming it was.

Does anyone else have problems with them uprooting plants and tipping over ornaments? Haha. I came home today to find 4 of my 7 plants floating (just plastic, but still a hassle to fix) and I was just laying in bed when I heard the gravel rustling and one of the rocks tip over! I went over and the eel was hidden underneath... Everyday I find more reasons not to like it :/

Haha I love my Eel! Once he gets settled in and is eating try hand feeding ;)

Back
Top Bottom