Peacock Eel, will it escape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillHicks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm interested in a Peacock Eel at my local fish store for my 50 gallon tank. the only thing covering the tank, however, is eggcrate. Do you think a 5 inch Peacock eel will be able to escape through eggcrate?

Thanks

I currently have 2 peacock eels. I have never seen them even attempt to escape. I've heard stories of them being escape artists, but I've never seen it happen. Mine burrow probably 99% of the day. The only time they seem to ever come out is to eat. I'd say you can try it and see, but don't let any plants reach the surface. They like to hang on plants and if they are tall enough I guess they could make it out of the water. HTH

How big of a tank do peacock eels need, anyway? And where can I find info on them, I can never seem to find much.

Well I decided to get the Peacock Eel a few days ago, and so far everything is fine. i've had it in my tank for 4 days now and no escape attempts. I am a little concerned because it loves to hang out in a floating plant at the top of the tank, entwining its body in the roots, but I figure if it wants to escape theres not much I can do to stop it (disadvantage of using eggcrate in place of a hood I suppose).

I haven't seen him bury himself in my sand substrate yet. I hope he's eating ok because whenever I put food in the tank my pictus cats go nuts and swarm over the whole tank till its gone.

You could try distracting the cats and putting some food right in front of him. Let me know how things go, I'm planning to get one too when I get a bigger tank.

I told you Bill, no floating plants. :D They will hang from those things ALL the time. :D

If he is still living, he's finding food somewhere. I never see ours eat. But here the are, 10 months later. :D

i agree, no floating plants. theyre always going to be up there and be looking for a way out. if theyre on the bottom they arent really going to care about the top of the tank.

just watch out and put a good cover on it. and if its missing check your filters first.

Back
Top Bottom