Peacock Eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichchick79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering how many members own peacock eels and how they feel they are as fish...

I can't say about peacock eels, but I've had a porthole eel for a few weeks now. I got it from a friend of mine in an emergency, and I've been keeping it in my community tank with glo fish and guppies etc.etc. So far it's been very docile, it mostly sticks to itself, or even burrows into the substrate completely out of sight.
The biggest problem I've run into is that it has to compete for food, but in a tank of their own, of course, that wouldn't be an issue. Overall the little guy is great as a pet!

I learned they were nocturnal eaters (the peacock eels are). I was worried about mine because he wasnt eating, and when I read up on him more, I figured out why he wasnt eating with the rest of the fish. Now when I go to bed and shut off the tank lights I throw in some sinking shrimp pellets for him, which he devours. Its cool seeing him swimming in the moonlight eating... (my tank is in a window)

I only had my peacock eel for a couple of months. It climbed out through my HOB filter (the rest of my tank was covered) during the night and dried out on my carpet:bawl:.

Mine wouldn't eat at first either, but I discovered it loved earthworms, I would feed it with tweezers (I was working my way to hand-feeding), he wouldn't touch frozen bloodworms or pellets.

I think eels are awesome (theyre my favorite fish), I am getting a fire eel for my 75gal (no HOB filter on this one). Just make sure:

-There are no possible escape routes (as I've learnt they are really good escape artists, I definitely underestimated mine)
-Your subtrate is not too sharp (as you might know, they like to burrow)
-They are eating (its looks like youre all set on this one)
-They love caves (PVC tube works, or if you want to build your own out of rocks make sure you glue the rocks together with aquarium safe silicone)

One thing I tried with my eel after seeing it burrow after an earthworm was to establish a blackworm colony in my tank so that it could "hunt" for food. Well that one sort of backfired cause now I have no eel in the tank but blackworms in my gravel (though it looks like my fish are keeping the population under control). Honestly, I don't have tons of experience on this, I just thought it would be something to "enrich" my eels life.

You should post a pic of your eel :D

I've never seen my peacock/porthole eeel (turns out they're the same!) eat, but he's managed to stay alive for weeks now. So do you buy frozen earthworms from lps? or do you buy nightcrawlers? or do I go hunt for some earthworms outside?
If you're eel will eat from tweezers, but I still haven't managed to see mine eat, I'm getting convinced that he's not eating, so I'd like to try this earthworm idea. Or even this blackworm colony, I've never heard of blackworms before, can you tell me a little information about them?

I've never seen my peacock/porthole eeel (turns out they're the same!) eat, but he's managed to stay alive for weeks now. So do you buy frozen earthworms from lps? or do you buy nightcrawlers? or do I go hunt for some earthworms outside?
If you're eel will eat from tweezers, but I still haven't managed to see mine eat, I'm getting convinced that he's not eating, so I'd like to try this earthworm idea. Or even this blackworm colony, I've never heard of blackworms before, can you tell me a little information about them?

The earthworms I just hunted from outside (rinsed them in water before I put them in). Haven't tried my LFS for earthworms but you should be able to buy them anywhere they sell fishing bait.

I had to implement the tweezers cause mine wouldn't eat anything frozen and if I just dropped the worms in there my barbs would get to them first (the piggies!)

Your LFS might have california blackworms, if they don't here's an online place:

Aquatic Foods Home Page

Eels can go for at least 3 weeks without starving to death (but they do suffer so, I wouldn't recommend this ever, I'm just saying it cause if you've had yours less than that it is possible it is not eating and still alive)

You should try the feeding after the lights are off and watch if it comes out to eat with a flashlight.

Edit: sorry missed the info on blackworms part, california blackworms are aquatic worms (not insect larvae like bloodworms) check out this page for info:
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20Food,%20Blackworms.htm

we have 2 peacock eals... one is outgoing and plays in the currents and plays with the other fish, and eats everything!! the other one is constantly burried in the gravel, we never see him at all untill he sticks just the tip out to eat... they are so fun and so so pretty though!!

update: As it were, my peacock eel was indeed NOT eating. Poor guy, I actually thought I had lost him one morning, he was lying on the bottom of the tank, I went to get him out and he jerked up and took off, I was so happy! I went and bought some live blackworms from my lfs, and he immediately started munching on the little guys. Now he's always swimming around and playing in the bubbles.
Thank you for your help so much, you saved my little buddy's life!

update: As it were, my peacock eel was indeed NOT eating. Poor guy, I actually thought I had lost him one morning, he was lying on the bottom of the tank, I went to get him out and he jerked up and took off, I was so happy! I went and bought some live blackworms from my lfs, and he immediately started munching on the little guys. Now he's always swimming around and playing in the bubbles.
Thank you for your help so much, you saved my little buddy's life!

That is great news! congrats on not giving up :D I will be getting my fire eel soon, my 75 gal is almost cycled, I am sooooo excited about having an eel again :p

Back
Top Bottom