Peacock Gudgeon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am considering adding a peacock gudgeon to a 10g planted tank I'm setting up. Should they be in a group of three or can I keep one by itself? Also anyone know of a good online seller? Tell me about your experiences with peacock gudgeons. Thanks!!!!

I had a bunch of them until I got a parasite that killed them before I realized what was going on. Now I have one and he is very lonely. I would keep at least a pair. They breed at 80 to 82 degrees. I purchased mine off aquabid from a guy in Delaware. He was a great seller and bred peacock gudgeons. He taught me most of what I know about them as I was emailing back and forth with him about them for awhile. I cant for the life of me recall his user ID on Aquabid though. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

They like plants and subdued lighting. I have dwarf water lettuce in my tank. They are not fast swimmers and are easily out competed for food. To breed you need pvc tubes or clay tubes. The male fans the eggs and keep guard over them until they hatch. Peacocks are cannibals and will eat their own young and the young of others.

I have one in my 25 gallon tank, and she seems pretty happy on her own, and gets along well with her other tankmates. The advice I got was to either get one, or get a male/female pair, since males may fight each other.

Thanks guys that info helps a lot. Do you think it would be fine to keep two together even if they are two males?

I had a bunch of them until I got a parasite that killed them before I realized what was going on. Now I have one and he is very lonely. I would keep at least a pair. They breed at 80 to 82 degrees. I purchased mine off aquabid from a guy in Delaware. He was a great seller and bred peacock gudgeons. He taught me most of what I know about them as I was emailing back and forth with him about them for awhile. I cant for the life of me recall his user ID on Aquabid though. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

They like plants and subdued lighting. I have dwarf water lettuce in my tank. They are not fast swimmers and are easily out competed for food. To breed you need pvc tubes or clay tubes. The male fans the eggs and keep guard over them until they hatch. Peacocks are cannibals and will eat their own young and the young of others.

That would be awesome if you could find the seller.

No, personally I would not keep two males together, especially in a 10 gallon! They would most likely fight. Two females should be just fine, and I happen to think they are more attractive, but that's just my opinion. The males have that big, funny-looking head, lol! I have a male and two females in my 20. They are about half grown. I am going to get two more females because I hear that the male will pester them, and I would rather there be way more girls than boys so he doesn't keep pestering just one or two, and stressing them out.

agreed with seaecho

I would NOT add more than one male (especially in a small tank), based on what I learned in my research (I have not actually tried it, though, so can't speak from personal experience!).

I have two males and a female, and they are super peaceful and never bother anyone. That being said, they started out in a 25 gallon tank, moved to a 55, and are now in a 120g, so my experience would be much different than yours in 10g.

I do find them to be very fun, pretty, and personable little guys though.

I found the seller's email address!! I had mine in a 55g and there were never any squabbles between males. PM for the address.

No, personally I would not keep two males together, especially in a 10 gallon! They would most likely fight. Two females should be just fine, and I happen to think they are more attractive, but that's just my opinion. The males have that big, funny-looking head, lol! I have a male and two females in my 20. They are about half grown. I am going to get two more females because I hear that the male will pester them, and I would rather there be way more girls than boys so he doesn't keep pestering just one or two, and stressing them out.

While they will 'fight', if you can call it that, it will virtually never result in fatality and even high stress. Males will almost always just flare at each other and have little spats. Never actually fighting or anything. I definitely wouldn't in a ten gallon but in larger tanks Its best to keep them in groups. 1m:2f ratio is a great ratio.

Keeping groups of peacocks is always better and it's generally unwise to get a non confirmed pair. If the tank was larger Id say get a bunch and let em pair off but in a small tank honestly a confirmed pair will work. I've never kept them alone and don't generally advise it because they color up better and you'll see a substantial rise in activity level.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have four in a twenty long three females and a male, and thanks to this I now know why they likely haven't bred for me since my tank is set at a cooler temperature then needed

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom