peacock gudgeon info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if any members have experiences with these gudgeon, and if so I'd like to have a little insight on them if possible.
Thanks guys n gals:)

When I got my threadfin rainbows I seriously considered getting a pair of these guys. I know they like tubes (PVC or other) and that they are mostly peaceful. They can nip but supposedly aren't too bad about it. I remember they don't like warmer water but could do a normal 70 something tank fine. Suppose to be good eaters. That is about all I can remember of my search. If you get them post pic's and tell about their habits, I am really curious about them. Personally I think they are cool little fish.

I've wanted some for a while now. I just wonder if they'd be ok with rcs. Also, most site I've researched say they can be a little picky at eating processed foods and will only do live or frozen stuff.

Cichlid Kid said:
I've wanted some for a while now. I just wonder if they'd be ok with rcs. Also, most site I've researched say they can be a little picky at eating processed foods and will only do live or frozen stuff.

I have one and for the first 3 days that I had her she wouldn't eat any of the new life spectrum pellets, but after that she got used to them and there hasn't been a problem with her eating.

I have a pair. I've had them for a year or more. They are beautiful and I quite enjoy them. Feel free to ask any specific questions. :)

I have a pair. I've had them for a year or more. They are beautiful and I quite enjoy them. Feel free to ask any specific questions. :)

Do you have them in a community tank with any other bottom feeders (cory's or loaches)? I have a 220g heavily planted community and wondered how they would do. Plus what do you feed?

I have them in a much smaller heavily planted community, 14g. They've mostly been with livebearers and tetras, never had any issues. I haven't had cories or loaches with them, but I wouldn't expect any problems. They are pretty small, so if you're stocking much larger fish in your 220 they could be picked on. They greedily accept all foods..flakes, pellets, frozen foods. I think they also quite enjoy snail eggs/babies becaues my ramshorn population in their tank dwindles. :)

Have they spawned for you? I think I'm leaning toward a species tank. 20gal. long to be exact. I'm hoping to breed them. Originally i was gonna put them w/my rcs and panda corys but i don't think that would be wise for the shrimplets.

I've intended to pull them out into a breeder, just haven't got around to it. I see spawning behaviors, but haven't seen any fry.

Very nice fish. Just a warning though, they (and many other gudgeons) are expert jumpers. They will get through the smallest space in your lid, so make sure you cover all the gaps.

Tony

I spawned peacock gudgeons a few times successfully and it wasn't too hard to pull the PVC pipe to hatch the eggs artificially. They will eat guppy fry so they would likely eat RCS as well.

Daxhua said:
Can you keep peacock gudgeons at high temp like 80 to 86 degrees?

I keep mine at 80 and there hasn't been any problems yet

I have a pair with rcs and didnt mess with them and they love brine shrimp

Well my pair takes out all the baby ramshorns, so I find it unlikely. IME any fish that eats baby snails eats baby shrimp. Also wide mouthed fish like that typically eat inverts.

Back
Top Bottom