Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Default User Title

Peanut butter in the tank?

Kind of a crazy question, but not one I've come across before: my youngest son put a "bite" of peanut butter sandwich in my 55 gal, the cories and the angel went nuts on it, it was gone before I could even get to the basement and back with the net to fish it out. Will the peanut butter (jif creamy) or the bread (whole wheat) harm the fish?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive never heard of that happening before i would suggest wait and see and maybe fast for a couple days cause i know peanut butter is thick and filling with bread then could feed blanched deshelled peas after the fast to help digestion

Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

No, a bite of pb sandwich won't hurt them. I don't suggest feeding that on regular basis of course, but there isn't anything toxic to fish in there. If you feel concerned at all, feel free to fast and them feed some veggies. That never hurts after all anyways.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question Don't quote me

Though I don't really know the answer to this I do know that my kids were trying to be nice at my moms house and put crushed up peanut butter crackers in one of my moms smaller koi ponds (95g) and they were fine. Considering you have an aquarium I would suggest a pwc with a gravel vac and maybe a dose of stress zyme+, seachem stability or another type of beneficial bacteria based stabilizer... Gotta love kids!!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Default User Title

Yeah it was amusing, didn't think it'd harm the fish but wanted to check here...
I did a 50% pwc, and put carbon back in the filter just in case. The water got pretty cloudy, but everybody seems to be fine this evening.
Manny is also the one who dumped a full can of flakes in my 20 gal. That took me two weeks of work to put right...
I love that he's interested in the hobby, just wish he'd take it a little slower
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Default User Title

Did another 50% PWC today, the water was just cloudy, params were good, but just for good measure. All my fish seem to be fine, keeping an eye on my angel and the cories, because they were the ones that ate most of it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ben (2) fed an entire can of flakes to the dog. The Doug's digestion was...off, for a while. I often catch him in the betta tank up to his shoulder.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com