Peapuffer sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 2 puffers are just sitting on the bottom of the tank doing nothing is something wrong? their tail is also curled. Is something wrong?

Possibly? What are the results from ammonia, nitrites, nitrates check with API test kit? Are there any marks on them? How long has the tank been running?

Ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 nitrate is 20-40 They seem fine now swimming alot more. im just finding it difficult to feed them they dont wanna eat anything. No marks either besides the little spots on their backs they also have nice round white bellies

What are you trying to feed them? If you lived close, I'd scour the two tanks that have bladder snails and give you the lot! :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

IMO it sounds like they're sick. Your trates are a bit high, do a 50% water change today. Curled tails usually are a sign of sickness in dwarf puffs. They could also just be stressed. How did you acclimate? How long?

What are you trying to feed them? If you lived close, I'd scour the two tanks that have bladder snails and give you the lot! :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've tried frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp no luck. I live in Chicago Illinois lol a bit far from Colorado but thank you :)

IMO it sounds like they're sick. Your trates are a bit high, do a 50% water change today. Curled tails usually are a sign of sickness in dwarf puffs. They could also just be stressed. How did you acclimate? How long?

I let the bag float in the tank for about 5 minutes and scooped them up with a small cup made sure they never left the water

5 minutes isn't long enough for me. I float the bag to acclimate temp and then drip acclimate by adding water to double , dump half and repeat a few times.

could be a shock to them if water temp was way different.

So you just let the temp match and then let em in without adding water or anything? Puffs are way to sensitive for that. A good 2 hour or longer drip acclimation is what most people would do with more sensitive animals like puffs.

5 minutes isn't long enough for me. I float the bag to acclimate temp and then drip acclimate by adding water to double , dump half and repeat a few times.

could be a shock to them if water temp was way different.

Well its been two days now and they seem fine now just cant find something they would want to eat

So you just let the temp match and then let em in without adding water or anything? Puffs are way to sensitive for that. A good 2 hour or longer drip acclimation is what most people would do with more sensitive animals like puffs.

Oh I didn't know that I thought drip acclimation was only for salt water tanks. Also I read online that puffers sometime curl their tails to turn is that true?

Yes, puffs curl their tails a lot but if it is constantly curled to one side and it's never on the other side or straight you've got a problem

Back
Top Bottom