Pearl Gourami!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cassiopeia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I'm new to this forum so bear with me.

I am planning on getting a pearl gourami for my 29G tank.
the stocks are
-1Koi Angelfish
-5Fancy Guppies
-1 Red Honey Gourami
-5 Harlequin rasboras
-1 Sailfin Molly

so I'm wondering if a Pearl Gourami is well suited for my tank.
Thanks!

Unfortunately it wouldn't be. Mixing the two gouramis isn't a great idea, and a pearl gourami gets about 5" long and I think is better suited for a larger tank...especially with a fish as large as an angel in there already, which I also think is better suited to a larger tank, personally. I think your tank is stocked, or overstocked up top....preferably you would have less top swimmers and some bottom swimmers. But I would add 1 more rasbora because they are schooling fish that like groups of 6 or more. If you are using a liquid master test kit to stay on top of your water parameters, I would say you could maybe add some cory cats to the bottom. :)

Wow I didn't know I was overstocked...
So if I get a pearl gourami it would fight my honey gourami?

I don't think your tank is necesarily overstocked, I do think your specific fish choices have overstocked the top half of your tank, yes.

Hmmmm well I'm not really interested in cory's.
I'm looking for a more colorful fish for an extra centerpiece for my tank

Well you already kind of have too much centerpeice fish for a 29 gal tank... If I were going to put an angel in a 29, I wouldn't even add the gourami and molly as well, let alone add something else. Angels get realllly big..maybe yours is still small and you aren't realizing the space they need. You have no bottom dwellers, so I would stick to that if you were going to add. Your top half sounds too crowded already IMO.

Pearl Gouramis are known as the most peaceful gouramis, but your other gourami would likely fight it. A pair of pearls is a beautiful sight in a tank. :>
I do agree with siva though, your upper levels are fully stocked.
You may be able to add a dwarf cichlid like a Ram to be a centerpiece fish for your lower levels.
But your angelfish could be tricky.. I personally wouldn't keep them in that small a tank. They get big, like really big. Like six inches tall big. Just something to think about.
If your levels are perfect and you keep up with the maintenance of your tank your current stocking could work.

Sooo I'm not getting the pearl gourami.
Does anyone have a good bottom dweller fish they can recommend?
except cory's

I don't know if you're into plecos at all, but IMO Bristlenoses are beautiful. If you want color you can go with the albino version. :]

You could do 5+ kuhli loaches..depending on what type of substrate you have. You can't do them with rough/sharp rocks. You could do honeycomb catfish if you can find them (I've been trying to my hands on some for a while). Clown plecos are very cool, you could do one of those.

Hi, my first post here yea!!! I have to tanks, one is 45 gallon the other is 34 gallon. In the 34 gallon I have an angel fish with three male balloon mollies. My advice, DO NOT ADD YOUR GOURAMI in the tank with the angel fish. From my experience, angel fish are very agressive, my angelfish is constantly bulling the other mollies. They get quite big, and are territorial. I have only male balloon mollies there, and just a few, because they are faster than the angelfish, and they kind of like to be chased by the angel. They just don't care. But the female mollies will get so afraid and will stay all the way at the top in one single place. That is why took the females out, and left only 3 males...in the future, I will let the angel by itself, and take the male mollies to a new tank. If a throw them with the 10 beautiful sexy balloon molly females, they will breed like there is no tomorrow...A few years ago I got like 70 babies!...my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom