Pearl Gourami and Cardinal Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will a Trio of Pearl Gouramis (1xMale,2xFemale) get along with a school of 10 Cardinal Tetras In a HighTech planted 75gallon tank?

yes!

(ugh! at this 15 characters.........)

BUT then again.....
is that the only fish you are keeping?
looking at the link in your signature - you wanted serpae tetras and 8 rams.
In which case, the answer is NO!

yes!

(ugh! at this 15 characters.........)

BUT then again.....
is that the only fish you are keeping?
looking at the link in your signature - you wanted serpae tetras and 8 rams.
In which case, the answer is NO!

Why no, i really dont see a problem with those being stocked, I will only be keeping 4-6 of the rams I am no longer getting 8,

Stock List:
4 German Blue Rams
2 Electric Blue Rams
15 Serpae Tetras
10 Cardinal Tetras
3 Pearl Gourmis

AqAdvisor says that the only issue would be that pearls get somewhat aggressive while breeding but everyhing iv read says you have to lower the water level for them to breed and I wont be doing this.

If theres an issue please explain the issue so that I can understand the problem.

there isn't a problem with compatibility.

The problem initially (when I read 8 rams) - was territory.

It looks fine now.

there isn't a problem with compatibility.

The problem initially (when I read 8 rams) - was territory.

It looks fine now.

Yeah I know I got to thinking about it after i set up the hardscape of my tank and decided there was no way i would have enough room for 4 sets of rams and the most i could do is 3, so i decided to go 2 pairs of Germans and 2 Electric Blues, I may go all Germans so that they dont crossbreed but idk maybe they would make some good looking rams. My issue is if i get 4 rams 2xmales 2xFemales what are the odds that they will both pair up...thats why im thinking i may just get 6 germans because they would have better odds of pairing wouldnt they? I dont want the ram if its not going to pair so that is very important for me.

why not 2 males, 4 females?

or if you wanted eight.... 3 males, 5 females?

the problem is that once you have established true breeding pairs, they setup territories in the tank - which causes alot of stress to other fish.
If 3 breeding pairs formed in your 75 gallon, there will be 'invisible dividers' in your tank. And your tank will essentially be separated into three sections.

Because i just want breeding pairs, my thought was to get 3males and 5females let them pair up and remove the 2 extra females and give them the my lfs for store credit, the guy who owns it said that would be fine with him.

I wouldn't keep the serpae with the pearl gouramis, as they are notorious for fin nipping. The cardinals are a good choice with them.

I wouldn't keep the serpae with the pearl gouramis, as they are notorious for fin nipping. The cardinals are a good choice with them.

I have read and talked to a few people who say that if the school is of 10+ the aggression will be mostly just in the school and I plan on having 15 of them so I dont think there will be any problems

I think my list will allow my tank to be a bit understocked and give everyone what they need, Im also trying to have only fish that do well in water with low ph beings I will be using RO water and Co2 my PH Im just guessing based off what info I have my ph will be around 6.5-7.0

The majority of your stocking list include fish that occupy the middle of the tank. It may get a little crowded.

If that starts to happen, remove 1 of the schools - and add bottom dwellers instead.

The majority of your stocking list include fish that occupy the middle of the tank. It may get a little crowded.

If that starts to happen, remove 1 of the schools - and add bottom dwellers instead.

I thought that Pearls mainly were on top/middle, Rams stay on the bottom, cardinals and serpaes are Middle/bottom? well as of right now my serpae tetras never leave the bottom 6inches of my tank.

Well my two cents- I have heard some people say that the male pearls can get downright mean and harass the other fish. If you are planning on getting males I would watch them closely

I saw the stock list. That was my opinion anyway.

I've had many pearls, and have never had any aggressive ones. This would be the exception rather than the rule IMO.

I saw the stock list. That was my opinion anyway.

I've had many pearls, and have never had any aggressive ones. This would be the exception rather than the rule IMO.

Yeah makes sense. I just know one of my friends has one that harasses the crap out of the other fish in his tank. Mine pretty much minds her own business

Yeah makes sense. I just know one of my friends has one that harasses the crap out of the other fish in his tank. Mine pretty much minds her own business

there are many factors caused behind aggression.
Not enough space, too small of a tank, overcrowding, too few hiding places to setup territories etc...

I've personally never experienced any problems with pearl gouramis.
I still consider them to be the most peaceful of the gourami species.
The original post stated a 75 gallon, which is large enough to house several gouramis. He also stated he is keeping only 1 male and 2 females. So aggression should be kept to a minimum.

Im hoping i have done enough research and picked my fish so that my aggression in the tank is very low. Well im trying to at least

Back
Top Bottom