Pearl Gourami Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiGuru

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys; right now I am keeping a Pearl Gourami in a 10 gallon setup -- he is a juvenile right now, but I anticipate hopefully moving him to a 29 gallon if/when that becomes financially doable, because I am aware that the 10 gallon might end up a little cramped in the long run.

However, for right now I am looking to get him some tankmates for the 10 gallon; these would most likely continue to inhabit the 10 gallon if I move the Gourami to a 29 in the future, but I am flexible, and wouldn't mind getting some more species that would accompany him to the 29.

Anyways, regardless, I am a little stumped at what to put in with him for the 10 gallon. I was possibly thinking about Corydoras, but I am not really sure. Or maybe a Honey Dwarf Gourami? I know that Anabantids often times can pose a great deal of aggression to fellow Anabantids, so I doubt this would be a good idea, but at this point I am really stretching for ideas.

So please, if any of you have any ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm really open to just about anything at this point.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'd advise against putting anything with him in a 10g tank. The swim space for a pearl gourami, even a juvenile, in a 10g tank is quite limited.

It would be best for him if you put him in a 29g and then added some tankmates. Many species of non-nipping tetras would be great and corys would do good with him as well.

Ideally, get the 29g as soon as possible and put him with tankmates in there. A lone gourami makes a nice "centerpiece" fish in a community tank. In a 29g, you could add a school of small-to-medium sized tetras and then also a small school of corys for your bottom. Really nice tank, the corys would spend most of their time on the bottom, the tetras most of their time mid-water, and the gourami most of its time mid-to-high water.

If you could find baby corys (juvenile), then maybe you could put the school of corys in the 10g with him for the time being. Or maybe a half dozen small tetras (neons or something) instead, without the corys. (Throw a couple ghost shrimp in there and they will work on keeping the bottom clean.) But the sooner you can move to the larger tank, the better.

+1 to both of the posts. Save the money that you'd spend on fish towards the bigger tank. Patience is the toughest part of the hobby quite often.

Back
Top Bottom