Pearl gourami hiding from the congo tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishliker

Aquarium Advice Freak
About 2 months ago I set up a new 55 gallon tank and in it have 8 congo tetras and 3 pearl gourami and a few smaller fish. I did a lot of research because I always want a peaceful tank. Things had been fine and the congos have grown fast and are quite active. So suddenly the 3 gourami are spending most of their time in the hollow log, the male won't even come out to eat! Been watching them and I see no aggression going on. It appears the gourami just may be intimidated by the congos and their very active back and forth swimming. Either that or possibly this is breeding related?? But I have top floating plants and there is no bubble nest. Any thoughts or advice? I have read that gourami don't like zippy tankmates.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

it may be there shy you might try tacking the congos out for a day or two tell your gouramies get yoused to the tank

Thanks! I had the pearls first. I think the congos got too big and fast. So what I am trying now seems to help... I am putting lots more plants in the tank to break things up, so far I have added 4 and things seem better. All 3 pearls are out some now and actually the tank looks better too. I had been trying to have all live plants but they haven't grown as fast as I needed. I am going to buy a few more plants and add more floating ones too and HOPE I don't have to rehome any fish. Any other suggestions appreciated too.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom