Peat Moss in Substrate Lowering pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishiness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've had a new tank set up, just sitting cycled. It is a dirted tank with a sand cap. I've been testing the water and the pH has been low (about 6, maybe lower). I was puzzled as to why it would be lower than the tap until I thought to look at the bag of organic soil - it has peat in it! Definitely a mistake on my part. I was wondering how long it would take for the peat to lose its acidity, if it does? I really don't want the pH that low, but I don't want to have to tear everything out and start over either. Would replacing some of the sand with crushed coral help balance things?

From other posts I believe a few weeks to a few months to settle down. I'd do the same and just add some crushed coral.

Delapool to the rescue again! Thanks for the reply. I'll toss in some coral.

I'd be careful doing that. The effect of the coral will likely outlast the effect of the peat. In a few weeks-months your PH will probably be too high! The tank is not planted and there are no fish yet? I'd use this as an opportunity to switch to a different substrate now if you're concerned about the low ph.

Not sure about crushed coral, but oyster grit (chicken feed supplement) generally balances itself kH/gH wise, so there aren't any spikes. Remember to rinse it well.

Crushed coral is fine. Also remember that if the soil has not been mineralised (wet and dried multiple times until the ammonia has been broken down) before you put it in the tank the bacteria will be consuming the alkalinity at a fast rate. The peat may just be an additional effect to the falling ph.

Ensure lots of water movement in soil tanks and try to get some good surface ripple. The bacteria consume a lot of oxygen whilst breaking down the organics and you are going to want to make sure there is enough to support the ecosystem. Low oxygen levels = bad tank.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks all for the advice!

I'd prefer not to tear everything out again - I have many plants already established.

One question, along with a lot of water movement, would daily water changes assist in balancing things? My thinking being that a somewhat continuous flush of neutral fresh water might help leech the "baddies" out faster.

Thanks all for the advice!

I'd prefer not to tear everything out again - I have many plants already established.

One question, along with a lot of water movement, would daily water changes assist in balancing things? My thinking being that a somewhat continuous flush of neutral fresh water might help leech the "baddies" out faster.

There's a lot to consider using a soil substrate. If used properly I don't think they can be beaten personally. They have many synergistic benefits and encourage symbiotic relationships between plants and bacteria.

You need to raise your ph above 6.5 in order to encourage nitrifying bacterial growth. If you don't you will most likely encourage algae. Adding crushed coral will give you a stable ph that is favourable to the bacteria and providing good oxygen levels will encourage them to break down the soil. For this reason it's always a good idea to plant newly dirted tanks heavily from the get go to absorb excess ammonia production that might give algae a chance to grow. Water changes are good thing for this reason and they will also replenish bicarbonates that will stabilise ph.

Just from using soil in pots I'd have to really agree here. Far better growth and stronger stems even though other conditions like light and co2 were relatively low.

Just from using soil in pots I'd have to really agree here. Far better growth and stronger stems even though other conditions like light and co2 were relatively low.

All that soil for one plant. You're spoiling it. Haha

All that soil for one plant. You're spoiling it. Haha

Seedling potting mix was the best for some reason. (And playing a little ABBA at night... I wonder if anyone has tried increasing plant growth that way...).

Back
Top Bottom