Pelco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of Pelco is good for a 20g tank? I might sell some of the grown up fry in my tank to make room for the Pelco.

BristleNose pleco, Clwon pleco, Rubberlip pleco, Bullodg pleco, any of those are small under 5 inches and love algea.

I will bo going with 1 Bristlenose or Clown Pelco. Is there anything special tha I need to do? I already drop a alage waffer in my tank every so offten for my oto.

Your plec will appreciate some driftwood and somewhere to hide if he feels like it. I also drop in some veggies now and again. Brocoli, zucchini, cucumber, and peas.

The wood is especially important for clown plecos as it's part of their diet. I also feed my plecos shrimp pellets. They love them.

I wanted one that would eat some alage so what about a Bit Bull Pelco or a Bulldog Pelco? Do I have to have dirt wood in the tank? Will they be ok for a few days without it, while I am socking the wood? How much are they? Do I need a special net or and other equipment?

Pitbulls, bulldogs and bristlenoses are all good choices in my opinion. Wood is a good idea but I'm sure they will be fine for a while, while your soaking it. In my area, any of these plecos can be had for about 5 US dollars. I don't know what you mean by a special net. If you mean for catching them, I use my hands.

Plecos can easily get stuck in a net. I just read this online about bristlenoses...
Bristlenoses have evertible interopercular spines at either side of the head, which appear when the fish is upset. The spines are tipped with minute hooks, which can make it difficult to extract a bristlenose from a net.

Fluff, I know this sounds dumb, but I have always been terrified to handle my plec. I have seen pictures of people holding them, but I can't bring myself to do it. Doesn't it freak you out?

I usually use a clear plastic container. That is how I catch my fish too. I slowly push them to one side of the tank with the container, and then its usually pretty easy to scoop them up.

I ended up getting a Rubbernose Pleco because its all they had. Im letting the bag float in the water for now and soon I will be letting him (I think) out. How do I feed it veggies? I heard of a food clip put can I use a rubber band and tie the food to my mag float?

Meredith,
Well, it's not easy to catch them cause they are quick but once I get them cornered, I just grab them. LOL Not scary, just weird the first time or two. Makes it much easier getting new plecos out of the bag when you get them also.

do they suck onto your hand? Draw blood with there spines? This is what I picture every time I think about holding one. :lol:

LOL No. I've never had blood drawn. Perhaps I'm just lucky. Never really tried to see if it would suck onto my hand. LOL

Back
Top Bottom