penguin bio wheel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a Penguin 200B and I liked it until I switched to sand in the tanks. The sand ate a couple impellers, so I switched to AquaClears. The main drawback I found was the Penguin cartridges plug up pretty quickly. I used the Penguin media cages and some canister filter foam to make my own cartridges.

I didn't like the fact that my Penguin didn't have an adjustable flow. Also, it was very easy for the bio wheels to stop spinning and thereby serve no purpose. I too switched to an AquaClear and I love it.

Aquaclears have better flow and a lot more media capacity. If you really want the biowheel I have seen people make a diy biowheel holder and add that to their aquaclear to get a super hob.

aquabeast said:
anyone reccomend these? ive heard good things about them? hats the gph

I have one and I liked, but it's true that the cartridges get clog to fast, and this makes the flow to go down, then the biowheel doesn't run around. So it will require to keep an eye on it.

In the other hand, I have a 150 in a 10G tank and handles the bioload really well, I never had issues with ammonia spikes so far

Back
Top Bottom