Perfect shrimpitat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I am aiming to create a perfect home for my shrimp, I am goin to pick up a 5g from walmart or somewhere so help me build it :) I need to know substrate, plants to get, filtration, everything, what are your experiences with your shrimp?

buy a 10 gallon they are cheaper then 5 gal.

I know shrimp have almost negligible bioloads, do you cycle a shrimp only tank?

I didn't cycle my shrimp tank and I had 6 Ghosties in a 1.5g. You just have to do a PWC a few times a week for the first month. My ammonia got up to .25ppm, but never more. Plants do help keep the ammonia/nitrates down. I would cycle it for sure if you are using some more sensitive shrimp.

That is an AMAZING shrimp habitat! Comes with everything you need. Just have to be willing to fit the bill.

I vote RCS. The color will stand out against plants and they're probably cheaper and easier to find and take care of.

Big-j said:
I'm looking at rcs or tiger shrimp not sure which to go with...

I have both and its better to go with rcs ull be happier with it to

Ok I've had those before but not in a shrimp only tank, hopefully they fair better this time round

I'm also thinking about starting a shrimp only tank with the tank I was using for a hospital tank. It's honestly too small to be used as a QT, so I'll probably buy a 5g tank for that.

Anyway, this is the tank.

Amazon.com: PETCO 2.5 Gallon Desktop Aquarium: Kitchen & Dining

I've replaced the weak filter that came in the kit with Tom Aquarium mini filter, and I bought Fluval Stratum for the substrate so the acrylic won't scratch up.

I'm hoping the lighting on it will be sufficient for low light plants.

I didn't cycle my shrimp tank and I had 6 Ghosties in a 1.5g. You just have to do a PWC a few times a week for the first month. My ammonia got up to .25ppm, but never more. Plants do help keep the ammonia/nitrates down. I would cycle it for sure if you are using some more sensitive shrimp.

That is an AMAZING shrimp habitat! Comes with everything you need. Just have to be willing to fit the bill.

IME ghosties can tolerate bad water conditions much better than most ornamental shrimp. They are also so much cheaper so you don't have much to lose. I wouldn't risk it. I lost a bunch of sunkist and blackberry to a mini cycle not long ago...it was like $30 down the drain :( Because their bio-load is so small though just some cycled filter media from another tank should be enough to make it instantly cycled for them.

Back
Top Bottom