Perfect Tank mates for angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've keep gouramis, GBRs, glass cats, hatchets, kuhli's, cories, and some others I can't think of with my angels and they did fine.

Like some of the others posters stated my biggest problem has been with angels not getting along with each other.
If you have two that aren't paired, inevitably one starts bullying the other in my experience.

I didn't know that about the Chinese alage eaters...i have two gourami s and a small golden alage eater with my angeles...should I take him out?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't know that about the Chinese alage eaters...i have two gourami s and a small golden alage eater with my angeles...should I take him out?

I would. They get 10-12" and get mean as adults unless you have fast somewhat aggressive tank mates.
They only eat Algae as babies. Research all your fish before you buy if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip Chinese Algae Eaters...they start getting nasty and will eat the slime coat off slow or sleeping fish.

Right. I should have put in a disclaimer that these fish can be jerks. In general, I had good luck with them with bigger fish though and they never touched an angel. They were pills to the other fish though. It depends on what all you have.

I would. They get 10-12" and get mean as adults unless you have fast somewhat aggressive tank mates.
They only eat Algae as babies. Research all your fish before you buy if possible.

I have a larger one about 6-7 inches in my large aggressive tank...The small one was given to me along with a Koy and duboisi after my neighbor decided to get rid of her tank. He was super tiny and would have gotten eaten in my other tanks...and the Koy and duboisi will not be staying I'm trying to find homes for them.

I have read a suggestion of getting 3-6 angels and then choosing a pair or more like keep the pair that they choose. Seems like a good way to weed out the aggressive ones but my lfs charges $15 a piece! Big box store only charges like. $5-7 but last visit they had the ich :/

I was researching pairing dwarf gouramis with angels and all that I read suggested that the gourami will munch on the angels fins and that it's a bad idea.

So your experience with the two fish is positive?

My angel and DG get along just fine. I have 2 males and 2 females DG. At first though the angel would chase away the DG and vice versa, but I rearrange the tank every week that he gaved up owning his own territory. But I also have never seen my DGs nip at the angel.

I'd say so depending on how big your tank is and how crowded it is its a semi aggressive fish so it should hold its own with angelfish

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402441230.797563.jpg

I currently have my half black angel living with:

Gold Gouramie (male)
6 Blue Mickey Mouse Platy's (female)
1 Rainbow shark (female I think)
2 Silver Dollars (male and soon to be re-homed)
2 Peppered Cory's
1 guppy (rescue)
1 White tip Tetra (rescue)
5 Neon Tetras

Brutus the shark is the only real aggressor in the tank but only chases, no nips. Thinking of adding in another Gourami to replace the Silvers. If Neons end up 'missing' at some point due to the Angel, I will round out the cory herd and add two more at min.

anyone want to help sex my angel? I'm leaning toward female....

If you add another Gourami, have another tank standing by ! They might be fine, but often they'll fight. Gouramis aren't social.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you add another Gourami, have another tank standing by ! They might be fine, but often they'll fight. Gouramis aren't social.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I'm hearing the same thing about adding another angel. Thinking the safest route there is to search for a female of the same size (about 4 inches). Considering adding in a marble veil.

My Gourami is extremely tame because of Brutus (shark).

Any other suggestions on a possible top dweller? Losing the Silvers is going to free up a lot of space so I'd like something as a replacement.

It's a 55 gallon I now have 4 angels 3 gourami 5 rose line sharks and 2 mollys

Are your gouramis male or female? I made the mistake of getting two dwarf gourami males and separated them before any aggression but I want to combine my smaller tanks into the 55 gallon.

Are your gouramis male or female? I made the mistake of getting two dwarf gourami males and separated them before any aggression but I want to combine my smaller tanks into the 55 gallon.

I don't know if they are male and female I never looked up how to sex them but they all get along sometimes the angels will fight with the angels and the gourami will fight with the gourami but they seem to leave each other alone

I don't know if they are male and female I never looked up how to sex them but they all get along sometimes the angels will fight with the angels and the gourami will fight with the gourami but they seem to leave each other alone

Look at dorsal fin. Males are pointed, females are rounded. And male will be more brightly colored, thus more abundantly found in lfs.

Now if only I could sex my Angel as easily.

Look at dorsal fin. Males are pointed, females are rounded. And male will be more brightly colored, thus more abundantly found in lfs.

Now if only I could sex my Angel as easily.

Yeah I can't tell the sex of any of my fish beside one electric yell cichlid and that's only cause she's hold right now

Mine have no problem living with neon tetras kuhli loaches ghost glass fish

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom