Petco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Fisher

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today, I just found out something I didn't know about my local Petco. They run all of thier tanks off the same filtration system. The only one that is different is obviously freshwater and saltwater set ups. So...if you see a fish floating in one tank, whatever killed it got circulated to every tank.

Yep they all run on the same filtration system per rack. It's like that at probably 98% of all pet stores. See the black line on the picture? It's the split between the racks and then each side has a filtration for the 9 tanks on their side so it all gets circulated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180302-221153.jpg
    Screenshot_20180302-221153.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 81
Most big box stores do that. I think my local petsmart has a few but still multiple tanks per system.

Which of course is why I quarantine everything that comes from there.

Amazingly, while I have definitely lost new fish that didn’t survive the acclimation. (Especially Otos, they’re in such bad shape already most of the time) I’ve never actually brought home a disease from those tanks. I’m not sure how that’s possible with all the dead fish that I’ve seen in those tanks.

(Sigh, I miss my lfs )

I didn't expect each tank to be filtered separately...I thought maybe multiple sections of tanks? Nope, every single one of the tanks...two walls worth over 6 feet tall. I didn't count the tanks. Also, per their policy, they don't medicate thier tanks when they get disease. Throw out the dead ones and wait for new ones. I feel now everyone should get massive discounts for these fish.

I feel now everyone should get massive discounts for these fish.

I mean... we kind of do. $1/fish for common varieties on sale no shipping charges, easy and almost no questions asked return policy when inevitably some subset of them don’t make it.

I do miss my local fish store (which decided to become a maintenence and private supplier company instead of keeping a retail location :’( )

I routinely paid more to support the local place while it was here but there’s no question that they just could not compete with the big box stores prices on the more common stock.. It’s expensive to set up better environments and those expenses get passed on to the buyer.

I’m very fortunate that my local petsmart actually keeps really nice healthy tanks and has people working in the fish department who actually know what they’re doing. Not trying to talk people into goldfish bowls like some of the horror stoiries you hear!

Yeah, found this out before I got fish and still bought from them. I call the box stores Maria go round stores. You buy fish bring them home put them in the tank find out they got ich or whatever then you gotta go back to the store and get meds for the fish you just bought from them. My point, the price you pay for the gas in you vehicle+fish+meds+ whatever else. Your better off buying online and pay for shipping . you get healthier fish SHIPPED right to your door. Just be home waiting at the door. Makes perfect sense to me. But I still find myself stopping in the store if I'm in the area and find something I just wanta save. I feel bad for them. Betta's get me everytime. Lol!

The only thing that's $1 or less in there is feeder fish. And no one knows very much about fish... maybe my retirement gig.

I have one local LFS outside of Petco and he keeps limited stock but will order in nearly any fish, tank, equipment you want. And he's fair in pricing. The obvious draw back is time waiting to get product. I generally use Petco for frozen food and water products. I also happen to live 3 hours in every direction from any large city.

The only thing that's $1 or less in there is feeder fish. And no one knows very much about fish... maybe my retirement gig.

I have one local LFS outside of Petco and he keeps limited stock but will order in nearly any fish, tank, equipment you want. And he's fair in pricing. The obvious draw back is time waiting to get product. I generally use Petco for frozen food and water products. I also happen to live 3 hours in every direction from any large city.
Lol! Sounds like me. I only have a Petco and pet smart an hour and 15 mins away. I only go there when my son wants to stay the weekend at his buddy's house or pick his buddy up. And even that's meeting the kid halfway point. But, I love my country! [emoji4]

Lol! Sounds like me. I only have a Petco and pet smart an hour and 15 mins away. I only go there when my son wants to stay the weekend at his buddy's house or pick his buddy up. And even that's meeting the kid halfway point. But, I love my country! [emoji4]
I live kinda country.... 25 minute drive outside of a town of 30,000. That town has a Petco and very small local LFS. If I wanted a legit LFS I would have to drive a minimum 3 hours one way. Really not practical.

The bettas in that Petco they keep in a plastic cup that are half dead....ya, you'd think they have the money to set up sectioned off tanks that are heated and filtered. Like my small LFS owner says, they only care about turning out as many fish as possible not the quality of the fish.

In my area, Petsmarts run all their tanks on one system, except the invert tanks. They treat the system with a preventative dose of a copper med. The Petcos here don't use preventative meds. I've bought fish from both, with no real problems. Before buying from any store, it's important to closely inspect the fish, watch the fish eat, and don't be afraid to single out the fish you want.
My small town super Wal mart actually has an employee that knows what he is doing regarding fish keeping. Wal mart tanks are also on one system. He allowed me to inspect the filtration system located directly underneath the display rack. I was surprised to see two enormous bio wheels rotating over a stock tank sized basin. He advised that they medicate fish on a as needed basis; no preventative dosing.

In my area, Petsmarts run all their tanks on one system, except the invert tanks. They treat the system with a preventative dose of a copper med. The Petcos here don't use preventative meds. I've bought fish from both, with no real problems. Before buying from any store, it's important to closely inspect the fish, watch the fish eat, and don't be afraid to single out the fish you want.
My small town super Wal mart actually has an employee that knows what he is doing regarding fish keeping. Wal mart tanks are also on one system. He allowed me to inspect the filtration system located directly underneath the display rack. I was surprised to see two enormous bio wheels rotating over a stock tank sized basin. He advised that they medicate fish on a as needed basis; no preventative dosing.
At least PetSmart is taking preventative measures. And I think you found a diamond in the rough with that Walmart employee.

Back
Top Bottom