Petco brand black sand review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I went to petco and got some black sand for my cories.i bought two five pound bags. It was not cloudy at all when I rinsed it. It looks really nice in my tank. They cories are happy too. The only problems is that some of the sand floats for a while. There is also little air bubbles in it that the sand sticks to. Overall it is a nice product that I would recommend. It gets 4 stars ????

Fishobsessed7

I just started up a 20 gallon I got for free off craigslist that previously had gravel substrate but I replaced it with pool filter sand and i am extremely pleased with it. I love the natural look it gives and you can't beat the price, 50 lbs for $5!

The floating grains was a big negative for me. Color and consistency is nice. Was going to use it in my shrimp tank but not sure if it would be a drop off compared to the EcoComplete currently in there. Tried it for a while in a plant holding tank. For now it's sitting in a bag.
I have read other reviews that reported the color "coming off" over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have some in my 6.6G and the color does indeed wear off so handle gently. Otherwise it seems like big pieces of sugar like is used on a sugar cookie - mixed with the black and graying sand. I like it for the most part but the color loss in the black.

I had the royal blue and also the sunset kinda orange color and didn't have any issue from color wear off.

I will say I am very pleased with the black sand/gravel from Petco. The size and shape of the grains is ideal for use with a slow flow undergravel such as I employ. They are slightly larger and more angular than pool sand and do not seem to compact as tightly and affords nice migration of water through the gravel bed, with or without an undergravel filter as well as little hindrance to plant roots.

I also like the fact that the black sand is BLACK, not some shade of gray, but coal black, really makes cardinal tetras color stand out.

If the grain size was that of pool filter sand it would be perfect. I haven't noticed any discoloration and the floating sand will go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No complaints over here, did find a couple granules in the filter box after the first week though. Color is holding fast after a few months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have some and yeah ... It's not real sand. It's some painted polymer. It's been very difficult to keep clean. I can gravel vac true sand but this stuff not so much, it gets sucked up.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom