Petco strikes again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Or I guess I should say I'll never learn :roll: , after getting so much good advice on here about "schooling" fish I decided to take the plunge and get some more black skirt and Serpae Tetra's. So like A dummy I go to PETCO (had a coupon for free fish from the 26 gal bow front I got there), and picked up 2 more black skirts, and 4 more Serpaes, That was on Sunday, last night I noticed 2 of the new fish I got have ick. Now I have to treat my whole tank since I gave my 10 gal QT to my son. Guess I'll have to get the other one out and fix the leaking piece of junk. :roll: . Lesson learned the hard way. :cry: , Now I have a dumb question, can snails get ick? if so could they get it in 3 hrs? I bought some snails for the tank and they were only in there for about 3 hrs.

Snails can't get ich, although a cyst or 2 can hide out on em and bring it into a new tank.

Did you read the article I wrote about ich and how to treat it? If not, its in the article section. Looking at your fish selection in the 26g, you can most likely do the high heat treatment, which means you won't have to muck up your nitrifying bacterial colonies with meds. Don't bother (if this is what you were thinking) of isolating the fish showing signs and just treating them; ich is in the 26g now and you'll want to eradicate it.

Yes, I did read your very informative article. I am treating with high temps, and since this tank was not "completely" cycled, I threw the meds in ther for good measure. I do want to thank you for all your good help and advice, I look for your posts when I see someone else having problems since I know that we are all subject to the same stuff (for the most part).

Heh, not a prob. When I started getting a clue I needed lots of handholding LOL I figure its the least I can do to make up for it! Plus I realised, while there are plenty of animal doctors out there, there are very few for fish (unless one is a Koi doc making big bucks). We have to play doc ourselves, and I'm willing to do the research to help out :) It doesn't make me a professional, but it expands my knowledge as well, so when *I* come across probs I have a better idea how to handle it LOL

How are the fish doing btw? How long have you been treating?

Started last night, the one seprae looks kinda bad but with the meds and the high temps hopefully he will be ok. Took my snails out along with my banana plants but left the green cor. in there. the ick meds don't seem to bother it. The high temp thing really works. Had what appeared to be ick in my 55 gal so I turned the heat up (I keep it around 82 anyway) and for some reason it malfunctioned and it got really hot, don't know how hot I was busy putting ice in the filter to try and bring it down. The only casulaty was 1 rainbow that was burned by the heater. The fish that looked like it had ick is completely clear now. I watch the temps real close now. Don't really know what happened but another lesson learned.

Pet CO, Don't have a petsmart in Cleveland which is the next city down the road. Having to watch my 55 gal real close since they are on the same filteration system and I got some Danios from there also. (note to self, Get that blasted 10 gal fixed for a QT tank)

Amazing how the temp treatment really works eh? Makes one wonder why we spend so much money on meds when they may not always be necessary...lucrative business for the aquarium companies tho isn't it...

hmm...i am treating my tank right now for ich too. I use med only. Maybe i'll do what you do 2cents and put a heater in there. I don't know if my 4 fancies and 2 comets can handle the heat but i hope it won't hurt them much.

Only raise the temp about 2 to 3 degrees a day. Once you get to 86 to 87 then leave it for 7 to 10 days.

Now for a dumb question, I have 1 serpae Tetra that is not looking good (must be the carrier). I have just set up my sw tank, can I dip him in it for a min to kill off the ick? Thought I read this once some where but I'm not sure. I'm afraid I'm gonna loose him if I don't do something. :(

robotcholi said:
hmm...i am treating my tank right now for ich too. I use med only. Maybe i'll do what you do 2cents and put a heater in there. I don't know if my 4 fancies and 2 comets can handle the heat but i hope it won't hurt them much.

Sorry I missed the "fancies", you might want to ask someone who has more knowledge, I'm not sure the 'Fancies" can handle 87 degrees.

Hey Allivymar, Any input on this?

Back
Top Bottom