PetSmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience I really find it hit or miss with the employees at my LFS's I have gone to a Petco where the guy I dealt with was extremely knowledgable and then I have dealt with a girl at a LFS that is exclusively fish and fish supplies called all fish emporium and she couldn't tell the difference between neon tetras and cardinals. That one worked out in my favor but still it's just hit or miss but I will guarantee that the more they work with people like us the more the will learn. I'm constantly teaching the employees at my local pet stores about the wonderful world of aquarium keeping, lol.

(just my 2cents) I go to pet/co/smart, pet supplies plus all the time. I use to rely on them for information as well. Took what they said as the word of God! Now I know better. I did find one Guy who really knows his stuff at a pet smart. I purchased my second tank from him. He has since been promoted to manager no surprise really. I go to the stores now for what they have to sell not for guidance. I don't hold a grudge against any of the stores or employees for what they don't know. (Now refusing to sell you a fish is another story). I am so grateful to have found AA. With out the help and kindness found here I would still have to rely on these stores. The fact that any of us are here shows how we have evolved from the chain store. They are just where I get my stuff now.

I was at my LFS last night and the new guy helped me-it was hilarious though I asked for rotala indica and he was like huh? What on earth is that? For fun, I asked for a bluegrass Pocelia reticula(sp?) and he completely freaked out and had no idea where to find it.

What I find most interesting is the evolution of these rant threads. For the longest time it was always the stores selling anything to anyone and giving bad overstock advice. Now the issue is they arent selling enough fish, lol.

What I find most interesting is the evolution of these rant threads. For the longest time it was always the stores selling anything to anyone and giving bad overstock advice. Now the issue is they arent selling enough fish, lol.

I was thinking the same thing! I'd actually find it refreshing if a larger chain store employee actually gave good advice and refused to sell fish to people if their setups aren't adequate. I often see/hear the opposite. The people at my local PetSmart know me now and they are very nice and mean well but I would never ask them for advice about anything. In fact I went to PetCo the other day and happened to walk by a goldfish tank (horribly overstocked of course) with one goldie relentlessly chasing another. Finally I pulled a worker aside and made her relocate the bully. How can they see that and ignore it? :facepalm:

. . .
Just being at Petsmart for 20 minutes I see the sad realities of new fishkeepers getting advice there. It's a shame they aren't trained a little better . . .

I am one of those. I told them what I was after, a basic tank to keep my cat occupied while I was at work so they sold me a 5 gallon with a betta. They didn't mention anything about the cycle and put about 5 betta pellets twice a day for food, nothing about cleaning it or care of the betta.

Another employee, gave the the grilling about tank size, number of fish and the cycle when I bought the 36 gallon. She would not sell the fish then and there, she said wait at least 10 days, then bring in a water sample to see if it was safe for fish. 10 days later, she did two strip test and said nope, not yet, give it another 5 days and we'll recheck. So it is kinda hit and miss, not that his has anything to do with it but most of them are college students (Texas A&M)

Petsmart and Petco are the only game in town for fish

Awhile ago, I was at my local petsmart picking up some new fish. In the checkout line in front of me was a parent with there kid. The kid was holding a plain bowl( no heater,filter or plastic plant) with a betta in a cup. 'cringed' I really wanted to give them a proper talking to. But it was not my time/place.

When I was buying platies, the girl dropped one on the ground and was gonna put it in the bag! I said no no no!

She was really nice though. I look for her everytime I go in

once when i bought my moneywort the employee grabbed anubias. it was really funny

I dislike how they handle my fish. Last time I was there I asked for a mystery snail.. She ripped him off the wall of the tank with such a force I thought she was going to throw him across the store :/

I like to go just to hear what the employees have to say to others lol its so hard to not say something.

At aquarium adventure I did say say something to a customer and the employee about they don't want that fish as the employee was scooping it out. Lol they bought it and as soon as I walked away (but not far enough for me not to hear him) the employee said no it doesn't need brackish water and it doesn't get 12+ inches big. I just kept walking had the kids with me and didn't want to argue with him. Since he works there he is the professional in the customers eye lmfao

I don't like the way most lfs handle their fish. Last time I bought some angels at petland the employee net them and put them in the bag with a tiny bit of tank water. She then walked to the tap that had dechlorinated water and added that water to the bag. I tried to get her to put water from the tank but she refused. Two days later I was back with 2 dead angels and a perfectly fine water sample. The store employee had no idea why the angels died. I asked her to take the temperature of the angel tank and the temperature or the tap water they put in the bag turns out there was 8 degrees difference. I think that the sudden temp shock killed them. Turns out they use that water for tropicals cichlids and goldfish.

When I bought my cardnial Terra's the lady scooping them out of the tank was banging the fish against the Side of the tank! Poor guys were color depleted b the time they got in the bag. Same with my molly, practically cut another in half with the net trying to get it!

Andrew McFadden said:
I like to go just to hear what the employees have to say to others lol its so hard to not say something.

At aquarium adventure I did say say something to a customer and the employee about they don't want that fish as the employee was scooping it out. Lol they bought it and as soon as I walked away (but not far enough for me not to hear him) the employee said no it doesn't need brackish water and it doesn't get 12+ inches big. I just kept walking had the kids with me and didn't want to argue with him. Since he works there he is the professional in the customers eye lmfao

Ha likewise!!!

Once I asked the guy for a banana plant he went straight for the fish tanks lol. Then he was trying to fill the bag with water, I was like it just a plant dude.

My petsmart here is AWESOME! The turnover rate is low so the people in the store have been there for quite sometime. The people working in their departments know their stuff! I've spent 2+ hours in there wandering from the dog stuff back to the fish department and have overheard the employees assist people in buying and stocking new tanks. They have their stuff down! AND they ALWAYS have their cycling pamphlets in hand.

Our local petsmart is terrible. The last time I was in there the girl bagged my fish and reminded me not to change my water more than once a month or my fish would get ick. *facepalm*

In the Uk we have a shop like petsmart called pets at home, they also ask all the same questions, how bigs your tank etc, I think it's a good idea, I understand that alot of people know if they have space or not and can find it abit patronising but I feel glad that they are showing an interest, and are not out to make a quick buck

I was in another shop called water world and I was looking for some treatment for fin rot asked the guy and he helped me find the stuff I needed, at the same time I was buying fish for a separate tank, but he didn't ask me if I was intending to put new fish into a tank that had fin rot (which I wasnt) and although he had not done anything wrong it just made me think that they were only interested in making money and not the welfare of the fish,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom