Petsmart Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up a piece of driftwood from the reptile section of Petsmart. I liked the shape; twisted, knotty branches. Extra large Driftwood Log by All Living Things. Is this fish safe? If so, I plan on boiling it a few times and then soaking it for a few days (depending on level of tannins). I don't know if this is mopani or grapevine. This is for a 20L low tech lightly planted tank.
For a size perspective there is a penny next to the driftwood and the floor tiles are 12"x12".

Attachments

• image-456840931.jpg
    image-456840931.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 166
Yes, that will be safe for fish. However, do note that the reptile wood often falls apart in aquariums faster than some other things do. That said, if you like it, I would go with it.

Still on the fence with this because I have another piece of DW that has been boiled and is soaking in a cooler. Interior of the cooler is white so it helps to see any discoloration from leaching. Much different from the petsmart DW...smooth and not twisted (pic 1). Pic 2 is where I cut it off from a larger piece of DW (pic 3) that I got from the Outer Banks, NC a few years ago. If I use this piece, the cut section will be attached to a small slab of slate using aquarium safe silicon.

Attachments

• image-3523682230.jpg
    image-3523682230.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 125
  • image-2819939829.jpg
    image-2819939829.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image-599805718.jpg
    image-599805718.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 131
I i have a log by all living things from petsmart in my tank no issues and my fish love it.. It did take about a month soaking it to get it to sink. Changing the water twice a day too. Also it got slimy but it goes away just bacteria bloom, It goes away after a week or so.. Its the lighter color log in the pic.

ForumRunner_20121218_234231.jpg

Yes, that will be safe for fish. However, do note that the reptile wood often falls apart in aquariums faster than some other things do. That said, if you like it, I would go with it.

Do you suppose the shorter lifespan of the wood is because of the numerous cracks, knots, and/or the nature of this type of wood?

I i have a log by all living things from petsmart in my tank no issues and my fish love it.. It did take about a month soaking it to get it to sink. Changing the water twice a day too. Also it got slimy but it goes away just bacteria bloom, It goes away after a week or so.. Its the lighter color log in the pic.

Thanks! What type of plant at the base of the DW?

Do you suppose the shorter lifespan of the wood is because of the numerous cracks, knots, and/or the nature of this type of wood?

Just a guess, but often the wood sold for reptiles is not as solid all the way through as the wood they put in fish tanks. The bits I have in my snake tank are thinner in places than your average aquarium dw.

The other stuff you have there looks really nice. If it was me, I would just go with that and save yourself some money. :)

That makes sense. The reptile wood feels pretty light (not dense). The other piece looks like traditional DW; surface appears as if it was sanded down. Next time I am on vacation I will be looking for more of it. Will post more pics when I get I set up.

I use goldvine wood in mine which is used for aquarium and reptile enclosures. I love the look of it. I have rocks holding it down until it stays by itself.

image-3559754682.jpg

Grapevine is a softer wood then most aquarium driftwood. This leads to it breaking down faster. That's why it is sold for the reptile trade vs the aquarium trade. Looks cool for a little while though.

Grapevine is a softer wood then most aquarium driftwood. This leads to it breaking down faster. That's why it is sold for the reptile trade vs the aquarium trade. Looks cool for a little while though.

Oh well that sucks but I still like it while it still looks nice. Oh it's not grapevine it's different it's goldvine Im pretty sure they are different ?

Yeah by looking at your pick it does look a little different then grapevine :) I don't think we have goldvine here in the states. At least I havn't heard of it. Do you have many choices for driftwood in Australia? I get asked to ship there all the time but Australia has strict import rules on, well everything lol.

Yeah by looking at your pick it does look a little different then grapevine :) I don't think we have goldvine here in the states. At least I havn't heard of it. Do you have many choices for driftwood in Australia? I get asked to ship there all the time but Australia has strict import rules on, well everything lol.

I just googled it and yep it's different thank goodness and more aquarium friendly. I've seen quite a few different varieties around I don't remember the names off the top of my head right now. I know it's crazy strict here! I can't even get plants from other states in Australia to Western Australia.

I just googled it and yep it's different thank goodness and more aquarium friendly. I've seen quite a few different varieties around I don't remember the names off the top of my head right now. I know it's crazy strict here! I can't even get plants from other states in Australia to Western Australia.

Dang I didnt know they were strict within the country as well like that. Guess that's the cost of living in a place that everything can adapt to and thrive. Australias on my list of places I want to go one day. I've hit a couple countries so far but have not had a chance to see yours yet.

I believe it's grape vine. Which isn't a hardwood. That's why it breaks down quicker. I have a piece I love in my 40.

attachment.php

I think this piece is going back to Petsmart and I will work with the one that is soaking.

PC1 - the manzanita-driftwood site is awesome; will have to keep that in mind for my next scape.

Back
Top Bottom