Petsmart Strikes First: $2/ga Sale With Extras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just me or am I not seeing it on the link. I have been looking for a 45. When is the sale?

Speaking off this ad, shouldn't the manufacturers of these things have some level of responsibility to truthfully advertise what a tank can be used for? This ad has a 5.5 gallon tank on sale for $30.00. The pic of the tank has 25 platys in it!

Speaking off this ad, shouldn't the manufacturers of these things have some level of responsibility to truthfully advertise what a tank can be used for? This ad has a 5.5 gallon tank on sale for $30.00. The pic of the tank has 25 platys in it!

Have you ever seen the box for an all in one tank? I think it's Aqueon that makes a goldfish tank kit that's 10g. It's pretty sad to see manufacturers of the products we use showing stuff like that.

Have you ever seen the box for an all in one tank? I think it's Aqueon that makes a goldfish tank kit that's 10g. It's pretty sad to see manufacturers of the products we use showing stuff like that.

Yeah, I've never worked with goldfish, but it seems irresponsible to market a 10 gallon tank for keeping them.

It's ridiculous what they advertise. I just got an aqueon evolve4 for a baby beta- the box recommended swordtails, corry cats, and German blue rams!!! In a 4 gallon!!!!!

Stupid Walmart

I have made bonehead moves due to labeling. It shows 2 platies on a 1 gallon tank (my first tank, don't judge me) and recommends white clouds, zebra danios, betta, and guppies... IN A ONE GALLON! We accidentally put comets in there first... they died... then 3 platies, 1 is still alive after a month. Stupid labels

What is even the point of a 1 gallon. I had a 6 gallon and that was pretty pointless.

What is even the point of a 1 gallon. I had a 6 gallon and that was pretty pointless.

Each of my kids has a 5 gallon on their dressers. It isn't much, but they've learned that they have to feed them every day (not too much), and that they need to do water changes (I do those, they're still a little young for that.). They like watching the fish, and it teaches them a little bit of responsibility.

In this day and age, that's far from pointless.

Each of my kids has a 5 gallon on their dressers. It isn't much, but they've learned that they have to feed them every day (not too much), and that they need to do water changes (I do those, they're still a little young for that.). They like watching the fish, and it teaches them a little bit of responsibility.

I agree. When I was 6 I started out with a 5g. Once I got older and learned of all the fish I couldn't keep because tank size was limited, I (with my own money) bought more tanks. It also taught me how to take care of fish and do maintenance on a smaller scale - so if I messed up (something I was very likely to do in 1st grade) I wouldn't be wrecking a huge several hundred dollar setup.

Also, small tanks are good for iwagumi setups, as the expensive equipment needed is in a smaller "version." Smaller canister, smaller lily pipes, paintball co2 instead of a full set, etc. So while those setups aren't cheap, they still are less expensive than a large-scale setup would be. Also, the "nano" look of those appeal to many.

My son started with a 5 gallon tank as well. That was frustrating for a couple of reasons. One is that the margin for error is so small. A tiny error could create serious problems. The other challenge I had was figuring out what I could put in it. Either the fish was too big it it needed a school, which would be too many fish. Once that one got messed up, I got him a 10g and immediately wished I'd spent a few more dollars on a 20g.

You are right, though, about learning responsibility. He's 6 and he helps clean his tank each week. I haven't taken the leap to have him do the feeding, but it may be time.

My 7 yr old daughter does the feeding, but shows me first how much before putting it in the tank.

My 4 yr old twins are obviously too young to feed on their own, so I give them each their "dose" and they put it in the tank.

Every weekend, they're with me while I'm doing the PWCs and cleaning. They don't mind...since they are small tanks, they go pretty quick :)

It taught me responsibility. I first thought all I needed was a fish, and something full of water... I was considering putting the fish in a toy bucket and filling it with water. I now learned to get appropriate size tanks, not to overfeed, to give them plants to hide and gravel, to clean the tank, and all sorts of stuff from these forums! He is only a platy in a one gallon, but he is a really nice addition to the family. Hoping to upgrade to a 10g with 1 other platy, 2 guppies, 2 dwarf mollies, and maybe a pygmy gourami... but I don't know yet. Maybe even a 20!

Back
Top Bottom