Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

PetSmart/Top Fin Decorations and pH

Has anyone else experienced a rise in pH using PetSmart's store brand (Top Fin) decorations raising the pH of their water?

I have a natural pH of 7.2 in my tap water. My dwarf puffer tank's pH, however, is at 8. I'm using Onyx Sand substrate, which does have a buffering effect and tends to raise the pH by .1 to .5, but that doesn't account for the other couple points. Further, my daughter's tank has a pH of 7.8.

The only thing both tanks have in common is the use of Top Fin decorations.

My gouramis tank uses the same substrate as her tank, but a different brand of decoration, and has a pH of 7.2.

Anyone else notice this?

Old 11-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now that's interesting. I am setting up a tank, and recently bought a lot of their fake plants, and my ph is 7.8, which is higher than I expected, and seems to be higher than the water at my lfs if their surprise at my ph level is any indication. I will be anxious to see what other anecdotes get posted here...

Old 11-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That interesting. Too bad I've had my topfin decoration for a while and it probably doesn't make a difference now. I had it soaking for a few hours and rinsed it before adding it too. I wonder if there is something on the ornaments. Keep us updated if you figure it out.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will do. If I forget, feel free to bump the thread so I will see it again. You can also pm (I think this forum allows messages) or email me if you like. In case you are curious, the Topfin decorations in my 55 gal. are: 2 18" plants, 3 shorter (maybe 6"?) plants, and a large fake driftwood as my centerpiece. So I've got a fair amount of Topfin brand plastic in my little glass box.

Tags
deco, decor, decorations, fin, petsmart, top fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com