PetSolutions.com ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone ever ordered fish from this site ? Is it reputable ? I am trying to get a rope fish and they are the only site I have come upon that has them.

Liveaquaria has been out for a few months now....had not heard of aquabid. Just checked and no luck there either. I had also checked bluegrassaquatics.com without success.

So I got my rope fish today (first time getting any fish through the mail). Drip acclimated him for an hour and a half and then put him in my tank. Went out for a few hours and came back to find it deceased. Wondering if I did something wrong or what.

When I opened the bag the fish was in it REEKED! I mean it smelled bad...is that normal for fish sent in the mail ? Also while drip acclimating it the rope fish kept turning upside down and I thought it was dead several times...I would push on the bag here and there and he would kind of wiggle around.

So needless to say my first experience with getting a fish mailed to me didn't go over to well...

So I got my rope fish today (first time getting any fish through the mail). Drip acclimated him for an hour and a half and then put him in my tank. Went out for a few hours and came back to find it deceased. Wondering if I did something wrong or what.

When I opened the bag the fish was in it REEKED! I mean it smelled bad...is that normal for fish sent in the mail ? Also while drip acclimating it the rope fish kept turning upside down and I thought it was dead several times...I would push on the bag here and there and he would kind of wiggle around.

So needless to say my first experience with getting a fish mailed to me didn't go over to well...

Where did you order it from? I personally don't think ordering fish offline is a good idea, but that is just me. It helps for me that I have an LFS that cares about it's customers and will special order me whatever I want. As far as petsolutions.com goes I have ordered dry goods from them a lot. Excellent customer service and very fast shipping everything is always well packed and arrives with no damage. Also, if you ordered the fish from them they have a 14 day guarantee on livestock I believe.

Petsolutions is amazing, and I've had full replacement's for things that I have lost with in days from them. Some of my own doing, some arrived dead (due to crappy heating pads), one thing I got warned with drip acclimation was bad if the water quality was low. I've never dripped acclimated any of my fish because of this that I've got through the mail. The water they are in is toxic regardless..and I'd rather risk tossing them in and letting them go then make it more so.

joshv155 said:

I woulda called them as soon as I smelled the bag.

Ordered probably a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from them. Great site, never any problems. Sorry to hear about the rope fish. I'd contact Petsolutions

I did contact them. They r going to send me another fish at no charge...I just don't fish to keep dying. I'm still new to all this so does anyone think by drip acclimating them I was wrong ? The acclimation directions were to float it for 20 mins, open the bag and roll the top down then and a few ounces of tank water....it went on to say do this until the bag was full, empty half and repeat. It didn't say how long to take when adding all the water...so I didn't think drip acclimating it was bad.

I figured the water was gonna b kind of bad but I didn't expect what I got...water was yellowish and just smelled horrible.

Got an email from someone at petsolutions.com. All of their rope fish are dying off for some unknown reason. They r going to refund me and said that they are going away from the distributor that they got them from...

Sorry for your bad experience. I recently bought fish online for the first time recently and they are the best quality ive had so far! I didnt drip acclimate but floated the bag for about 30-40 mins as it felt so cold then added 15ml of water every 30 mins they settled real quick and hve thrived since I put them in. Good luck in the future! :)

I feel better now knowing I didn't do anything wrong and it was a whole group of bad fish from one supplier. I will order online again...trying to figure out what else I want.

Yep, like I said before any online purchase is sink or swim due to a lot of reasons. Don't beat yourself up. You'll have 9 good stories for every one bad.

Back
Top Bottom