Petting my weather loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuhli Loach

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so ive had my weather loach for about 2 weeks and I can pet it when it skims along the surface of the water. Should I do this? He doesn't get scared or anything... Is it putting stress on him?

I dont see why not. Ive heard of people petting their fish. Just make sure your hands are clean.

I wouldn't. It damages their slime coat. That is not a good thing for fish.

I'm not sure about loaches but my oscars loved it! They would rub up against me every time I was in the tank. They used to eat from my hand as well. I never had any issues with it harming them, but like I said loaches could be different?

I have heard to not do it with fish because of thirty slime coat and scales but loaches are different and don't really have scales.

I feel like he wouldn't let you if it hurts or harms him.

so I say let the bonding ccontinue :)

Its ok. Just make sure your hand are clean and don't do it a ton. But petting him gently every once in awhile should be fine. :)

I took several fish biology/ecology classes in college and we handled fish all the time. The only rule was to make sure your hands are wet before you touch the fish. It's when you touch them with dry hands that it hurts their coat/scales. We were handling fish from streams but I would think it would apply to any fish. I would just add make sure your hands are clean when touching aquarium fish. And make sure its not stressing them. If they seem to like it, I'd say, go for it. Just my two cents :)

i had a weather loach when i was a kid, he used to lay in my hand and would love to be petted! It all started with hand feedings....he was awesome! Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom